Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusable stone and wood (not forbidden)  (Read 810 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Unusable stone and wood (not forbidden)
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »

I'm currently trying to build an archer tower on the beach in front of my fort but for some reason, the game doesn't have stones as a building material option above ground, only wood and vice-versa.

In other words, on "outside" tiles, i can only choose wood as building materials and on "inside" tiles i can only choose stone as building materials. Also, my carpenter is trying to make beds, but the game gives me messages that I don't any logs (but i do).

I keep all my stone in a 1 tile dump (underground) and the logs are more or less scattered with a dozen or so tiles of my fort entrance (on the surface). None of the stone is forbidden and i didn't mark them all economic, none of the logs are forbidden. There's hundreds of stones in the dump and several dozen logs on the surface.

I tried restarting DF but I keep having this problem, it seems spontaneous since I built a wave breaker (walls) on the beach with stone just a few minutes earlier.
I use version 0.31.16

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusable stone and wood (not forbidden)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:22:33 pm »

You probably inadvertently blocked up your entrance so no one can go through it. Make absolutely certain that there is still a path from inside your fort to outside. Maybe your seawall caused it to flood? Do you have a drawbridge raised? Might you have accidentally removed some ramps, or the walls adjacent to them? Any locked doors or hatches? Lots of things might be the problem, but that sounds like a textbook case of lack of accessibility.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

Nope, i checked everything is perfectly accessible. In fact my fish cleaner is still gathering the fisherdwarf's catches and my woodcutter and herbalist go back inside to get booze every once in a while. Trade depot is accessible too and it's 2 z-levels underground.

The wave breaker is right on the edge of the water so there's only open space on the other side where the ocean is.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:35:15 pm by Acperience »

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »

Have you used any of them in constructions that you later suspended?  I see this when I've used suspended constructions to stop builders standing on the wrong side of a wall.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »

I think something happened to the path-finding, it seems i do have a inaccessibility problem now, but i can't figure out why since everything was just fine a few minutes ago and i haven't changed the entrance in any way since i started.

Edit: Ok i figured out the problem, my dwarves suddenly forgot how to use ramps and i say forgot because they've been using the ramp entrance since the beginning of the embark and then suddenly refused to use it.

This just messed with my entire depot/trap level since now i can't use ramps.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:42:28 pm by Acperience »

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:43:05 pm »

You posted seconds after me Acperience; apologies if this is a repeat - but if something is tasked to build a suspended structure it will be unavailable.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 11:46:23 pm »

Do your ramps have an adjacent wall in the direction you're supposed to travel up them?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!