Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need a new computer, budget $1,000  (Read 1956 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new computer, budget $1,000
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 02:00:01 pm »

Well, no. You really dont need that if  you are going to use it for gaming.
Not to mention the only review has this little gem:

Cons: The ATI 5870 video card was too large for the case but was jammed in anyway. It was twisted in the motherboard making bad connections and the card was twisted so bad the top was 1/4" separated from the body and the cables were pinched where they were pressed up against the chassis.
and
25 out of 25 people found this review helpful.

Yeeeaaahhhh, no.
I found that review helpful: Don't let that dumbshit near my computer.

Oh, if you do somehow convince your mother to let you build it(it isn't that hard), try to salvage what you can from your old computer.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »

Oh, if you do somehow convince your mother to let you build it(it isn't that hard), try to salvage what you can from your old computer.
Parts salvage can be a real money saver. I think I got about £100/£200 off of my computer when I baught it, because I salvaged parts.
...Okay, it broke twice in six months, but I will point out that it was a very unusual case, and that this sort of thing works perfectly fine most of the time.

Also, I know I used GBP back there, but I did do it at the begining of the year, and everyone's currencies where different back then.

-- and it ran beautifully until I started getting bluescreened by junk parts.
...Uhh...
Please tell me your RAM sticks didn't fail, within months/weeks of eachother.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 06:55:48 pm »

You can probably convince her if you say you can salvage parts and save some money.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Urist McMalaclypse

• Bay Watcher
  • Physician of Philosophy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

Making your own is the best way to get a cheap machine, and also lets you pick out quality parts that won't fail. That said, you should know your way around the inside of a machine pretty well before you try to build one yourself.

I'm actually looking at a Gateway laptop in the not-too-distant future. Yes, they'll put useless crap on your hard drive, but they have some very good hardware for the money.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668662.php This is what I'll probably be getting. Yes, it's a laptop, and it's only a dual-core processor, but it comes with an NVIDIA 9800M GTS with a gig of RAM on the card itself.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/category/529598148.php These are their gaming desktops. They seem to look alright, though not fantastic, and would be much better if you want to modify the machine later on (different video card, etc).

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is a very useful resource, and will put out from time to time a rundown on some of the better deals out there. You can look through some of them here, but be aware that right now they're advertising Black Friday prices: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Special,6/Buyers-Guides,24/.
After a long time of fleeing unsuccessfully, she did what any cornered dwarf would do:  she sucker punched her own baby and then kept running.
Good god man, cats training cats? That's like how every robot apocalypse starts. But with cats.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 06:35:49 pm »

-- and it ran beautifully until I started getting bluescreened by junk parts.
...Uhh...
Please tell me your RAM sticks didn't fail, within months/weeks of eachother.

It didn't work out of the box, trashy parts from the start (making me wonder how much testing goes into it aside from "Okay, it powers on, its good to go"). I had to wait about three months using only one stick (as it was a Christmas/birthday splurge) so that I wouldn't bluescreen, otherwise it was fine.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:40 pm »

I'm gonna be building a computer soon too, but only spending around 400 for it.  Phenom II x2 555 black processor, GTX 260, 2gb of RAM (Gonna get more later), a pretty good motherboard, new case, and a 600w power supply.  The DVD drive, HD, and sound card I'm taking from my old computer.
Shoes...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 11:47:44 pm »

Have you tried Dell? You can customize a computer (starting with a particular model of course) and have a really good computer for less than a thousand.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 12:39:44 am »

We've already purchased one. Couldn't find the link for it but it's ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB of vid. memory, Core i7 2.8 GHz, 4 or 6 Gigs of RAM, nice motherboard & case. I forgot all the other specs, though, since this thread has served it's purpose I'm gonna close it. Thanks guys.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »

DO NOT BUY A PREBUILT COMPUTER.

Let me reiterate that:

DO NOT BUY A PREBUILT COMPUTER.

Prebuilts come with junkware and bloatware galore, not to mention the shoddy support by the manufacturer and the computer performing nowhere near the level it should. The companies frequently modify the components so that they don't run as well as a component purchased separately.

x2, next time you need a computer built on a budget, let me know.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »

God damn companies tampering with those components to make them worse.  That just makes custom-built even more tempting!  DAMN THEEEMMMMM

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 04:03:59 pm »

That does seem a little farfetched.  I doubt they're just doing it to be the devil.  If they do it at all it's probably so they can get away with skimping on the PSU and cooling.
Shoes...

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »

That does seem a little farfetched.  I doubt they're just doing it to be the devil.  If they do it at all it's probably so they can get away with skimping on the PSU and cooling.

Yup, exactly.

I've compared two computers, one bought from Dell and one assembled from the same components bought from Newegg, and the prebuilt underperformed on a consistent basis.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »

Yup, exactly.

I've compared two computers, one bought from Dell and one assembled from the same components bought from Newegg, and the prebuilt underperformed on a consistent basis.

Maybe for desktops, but you can't do that so easily with a laptop. Building from scratch I mean

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 09:04:43 pm »

True. Laptops, netbooks, and nettops are the only cases in which I will accept a prebuilt computer.
Pages: 1 [2]