Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlling magma  (Read 544 times)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlling magma
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:38:38 pm »

So, I built a retracting bridge from kaolinite and used quartzite mechanisms to link it to a lever. I let magma on it, and, being magma safe, it didn't melt for years. But as soon as I pulled the lever, the bridge deconstructed. The mechanism is still there and hasn't melted yet. Is there any way to control magma safely in DF2010?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling magma
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:45:41 pm »

I have not had this problem with bridges and magma.  Are you sure the lever-side mechanism was magma-safe also?  Logically it shouldn't matter, but it wouldn't surprise me if it does.

edit: actually now that I think of it, you're not the first person reporting that kaolinite is acting as if it isn't magma-safe even though it should be.  I can tell you for sure I've controlled magma with bridges made of other materials, e.g. mica or obsidian.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:08:56 pm by FleshForge »

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:59:58 am »

Then I'll try it. Both mechanisms were made out of quartzite I think. The lever is either marble or siltstone.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:58 am »

The lever and the mechanism in the lever shouldn't matter as long as both are not in the magma... but you wouldn't be able to pull them then, right? ;)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:20:47 am »

Yeah it shouldn't matter - but maybe it does anyway.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:46:16 am »

The kaolinite floodgates in my magma channel are still good to go, so.. The bridge shouldn't deconstruct either me thinks. All I can say is check if those mechanisms were really made of quartzite.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:10:24 am »

Something to keep in mind, and may possibly have something to do with this situation, is that if ANY of the mechanisms in the magma-submerged device are non-magma safe, the device will deconstruct when the lever is pulled.  I found this out by building a bridge and linking it to a lever then realizing I had linked chalk mechanisms, so I removed and re-built the lever, and re-linked with some bauxite mechanisms.  What this did, however, was left a chalk mechanism in the bridge from the first linkage.  When it came time to use the bridge it deconstructed, I am assuming because of the chalk mechanism, even though that one was no longer being used.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:23:47 am »

It seems that the bridge didn't really deconstruct. I just couldn't see it because the 'q' screen hides the top line in DF2010 (a very annoying bug indeed). That doesn't explain the mechanism I found lying around there, which made me think it deconstructed in the first place (plus past experiences with doors). It may have been there all the time, hidden by a "pool of magma", then got washed away by the flowing magma, revealing it.

On another note, what's up with doors? I had them deconstruct when controlling magma before (kaolinite, too). I guess it is something like doors can't crush magma, or some other items were washed in the way, and doors can't atom-smash them, so it deconstructs when I close them.