Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting rid of this annoying virus on my laptop....  (Read 1231 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of this annoying virus on my laptop....
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 04:11:51 am »

:o

The virus has moved from the lappy to me. I jinxed it.

Called the office answering machine at 5am. Not doing this today.... Bed, not moving....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 09:53:13 am »

I think I had this one, and IIRC I had to manually delete a bunch of registry keys.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 10:18:00 am »

Kinda yeah except every time I deleted or disabled them, they reinstalled in a seemingly random location on my hard drive. :P Have to get them all at once.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 10:23:08 am »

If it's similar to any of the other fake anti-spyware programs, on a Windows machine going in via Safe Mode (with networking, if you need to get any additional programs to remove it) and taking care of it there will usually work.  They're pretty simplistic in how they work, so Safe Mode generally prevents them from starting because the relevant processes they use aren't running.  At least that's what I've done on a couple of different computers, but YMMV.

Now, if it's more pervasive than that, some serious work will be required...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 02:21:28 pm »

For future reference, Linux is the solution even if you're using Windows.

A live CD with ClamAV on it. Scroll down to OpenDiagnostics Live CD. I'm fairly certain that with more than five seconds of Googling, you can find a better one that doesn't cost anything.

Like this. What can I say, I was bored.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:27:46 pm by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 [2]