Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [33g] Linkage Error: Too many mechanisms?  (Read 1185 times)

Frond

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[33g] Linkage Error: Too many mechanisms?
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

While playing on my fortress, I was setting up a 1-tile wide hallway with floodgates all the way down the hall.  I got through 16 floodgates (which were all hooked up to the same single lever), but when I put in the 17th floodgate and ordered to have it hooked up to that same lever, I received the following error (last 2 lines):

I have tons of mechanisms in a furniture stockpile that is easily accessible (no locked doors).  The lever is out in a hallway that has frequent traffic and the floodgate is also nearby--everything is accessible.  In fact, they carried out the order almost to completion: a mechanic took a mechanism and walked over to the floodgate and stood next to it for 30 seconds or so (as if he was installing it) and then the error message appears and the "Link a Building to Trigger" order at the lever is Suspended.

I tried putting that 17th floodgate on a different lever, but got the same error message.  So, I deconstructed the whole trap, thinking that maybe I had too many links or there was a limit to how many mechanisms I could use.  After that, I tried to link a different lever to a support in a completely different part of the fortress, and got the same error.  Now I can't link anything up at all.

Has anyone else had this happen or know of a solution?

Thanks.

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: Frond ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [33g] Linkage Error: Too many mechanisms?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

Could it be that, since the blocked side of the floodgate is exposed, your dwarf could have been trying to install from his preferred side even though it was inaccessible?

You've surely seen that dwarves "prefer" certain directions when mining. The same thing happens with walls and, I'm guessing, floodgates.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

It's not a "too many mechanisms" error - I have levers with 48+ things linked to them.

Probably one of the mechanisms you selected (the one which goes on the lever, rather than the floodgate) is inaccessible - in water, perhaps, or in a pit, or behind a wall, or behind a newly-built floodgate, etc.

The dwarf would hook up the accessible mechanism to the floodgate, but would then go "OHSHI--" when he finished and wanted to start hooking the other mechanism to the lever.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

Just find and forbid all unaccessable mechanisms.

Frond

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Interesting, thanks for the quick replies.

Evidently a +Dolomite Mechanism+ (which was always at the top of the list when ordering a linkage) still existed after I caved-in a support a little while ago.  I found it in the stocks menu, but zooming to it took me to an underground tile which only contained water and a floor (no mechanism!).  I was able to forbid it from the view menu anyway and it looks like the problem is fixed.

Thanks again.