Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: farmer refusing to plant outside part  (Read 405 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
farmer refusing to plant outside part
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:36:58 am »

got a small prob here

i got 3 part farm plot in my base with one designated for overground crops ..

i removed the roof then designated the area as farm (it was even muddied) .. now i can designate both indoor and outdoor crops to it but the farmer does not go to that field

no matter what (seeds are there in mass)

tried several variations with open close roof on building the farm but outcome doesnt change

aunt edit says: strange enough .. after i posted this  those bugger start to plant the plot ... after about 1 year doing nothing ...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:45:47 am by schussel »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: farmer refusing to plant outside part
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:44:52 am »

I'm pretty sure that you can't plant aboveground crops on muddied rock, so if the farm is on rock you can't plant aboveground plants.  I might be wrong on that part however, I've only ever tried to grow aboveground crops on aboveground soil.  And since it's been exposed to the sky, you can't plant belowground plants.  Doesn't matter if you cover it with a roof again, once a tile has been exposed to the sky it's always considered to be Light, Aboveground.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:53:12 am »

it used to work before not now .. funny enouigh now that they finally start to plant the roof is closed off

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:21:28 pm »

Is it possible that you only 'enabled' the current season to plant that crop, and the season changed shortly after-wards?  If you never enabled the other 3 seasons (or that type of crop won't grow in all seasons), then your dwarfs won't plant until that one particular season rolls around again.  (You did say it took them a year).

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:35:28 pm »

A year is a long time, but it might have been that the seeds were claimed by another task (e.g. moving them into a barrel) - probably not a a year but in a shorter time span I could see that happening.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:53:28 pm »

Is it possible that you only 'enabled' the current season to plant that crop, and the season changed shortly after-wards?  If you never enabled the other 3 seasons (or that type of crop won't grow in all seasons), then your dwarfs won't plant until that one particular season rolls around again.  (You did say it took them a year).

seed were resting next to the fields .. and it was taking about a year to start planting anything ..out of a choice of 3 plants i selected over the seasons with around 20-30 seeds each forbidden to be cooked/brewed .. that was the strange thing ..

now its working as it should :) even could narrow the fields down so i can grow every outside plant over the whole year