Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [33g] Water wheels disappearing  (Read 406 times)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[33g] Water wheels disappearing
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

All my waterwheels disappear from time to time. The structure is gone, it doesn't display, it also doesn't show anything when moving over it with q or k, yet you cannot rebuild something there unless you deconstruct the thing the old wheel was attached to earlier.
First I thought it was because in winter the wheel froze and got damaged this way, but it doesn't explain the construction blockade. Also I had it happen in autumn once when there was no frozen water anywhere.
Second thing is that floodgates don't seem to block the "flow" of water. I had a channel of water disconnected from the river on both sides, yet the wheel happily kept turning, and the water ripples still displayed.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [33g] Water wheels disappearing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

Flowing water is odd.  I have a fort with a screw pump pushing water into a (very long) 1 tile wide aqueduct (constructed channel) and despite being full to the brim (7/7 everywhere) the water was still considered flowing.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [33g] Water wheels disappearing
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

Well, if the screw pump kept pumping, water would still move inside your channel, even if it was closed on the other side. Sure, the last part of the tunnel would probably remain still, but we can't demand completely realistic water behaviour in a game...
But in my case, the channel is closed at both sides by floodgates, and no pumps or  other apparati are moving water inside it. So it seems the floodgates are merely keeping the water from occupying the adjacent tiles, but are not interfering with the flow transmission.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!