Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caging dwarves  (Read 801 times)

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caging dwarves
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »

I never get any nobles since most migrants get "deported" before population hits 80. I'd like to imprison the migrants instead, so I have a couple of question regarding cages.

1. Will the caged dwarves recieve food and drink automatically by other dwarves? Note that the cages will not be designated as jails. Rather, the migrants will "stumble" into cage traps.
2. Will caged dwarves eventually die from depression or insanity? I mean, most dwarves eventually do, but you know, earlier than normal?
3. Can caged dwarves see and rejoice in their surroundings? If I build a couple of armor stands in the cage dungeon, will they recieve happy thoughts from it?
4. Do berserker dwarves ever die from starvation? I remember reading somewhere that they don't, but the wiki says otherwise. It would obviously be neat to have a wild, unntamed army of berserkers. Hundreds of them, in cages linked to a single lever.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caging dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

Try and find out, don't forget to tell us how this experiment goes.  ;D

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:43:43 pm »

1) Dwarves with the Give food/water healthcare enabled will do it.

2) I think yes but not sure.

3) No idea.

4) Dwarven moods never end, and I have never seen a moody dwarf eat or drink, so... they probably die. My berserk dwarves usually get a pickaxe to the throat from messing with a legendary miner before I learn their eating habits. If they are in a cage, maybe dwarves will feed them though? Probably not.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »

1. Will the caged dwarves recieve food and drink automatically by other dwarves? Note that the cages will not be designated as jails. Rather, the migrants will "stumble" into cage traps.
In theory, yes.  Caged dwarves who are hungry or thirsty should be fed or watered by dwarves who are able to do so.  In practice, this isn't all that reliable.

2. Will caged dwarves eventually die from depression or insanity? I mean, most dwarves eventually do, but you know, earlier than normal?
Almost certainly.  A dwarf who is in a cage, unable to sleep in a proper bed or eat in a decent bedroom, is very likely to become miserable and go insane.

3. Can caged dwarves see and rejoice in their surroundings? If I build a couple of armor stands in the cage dungeon, will they recieve happy thoughts from it?
No.  They can't seen anything outside their cages, either good or bad.

4. Do berserker dwarves ever die from starvation? I remember reading somewhere that they don't, but the wiki says otherwise. It would obviously be neat to have a wild, unntamed army of berserkers. Hundreds of them, in cages linked to a single lever.
Dwarves who have gone insane still need to eat and drink.  I've had at least one dwarf go berserk inside a cage, and then eventually die of starvation.  That was back in 40d, but I think it's the same in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.