Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with names  (Read 444 times)

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
Need help with names
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »

I'm currently working on a mod to create several new civilizations. Right now I'm trying to add a desert-tribe/nomad (not really nomads as they will still build cities) civ.
While working on this, I suddenly realized I have next to no inspiration for (nobility) names for this civ. I could just drop this part of the project and move on to the other civs, but I've already put quite some time in this one (searching the wiki and forums for modding information) so this is why I'm now asking you guys if you've got any ideas for names befitting a civilization originally from the desert. (They might migrate to other biomes during world gen, can't really control that)

All civilizations are supposed to be playable, so this means I'll need names for every (important) noble role in Fortress mode. Though they're still nobility, all their requirements have been lowered as their culture is one of limited resources (they live in desert, in case you don't know). The civ is supposed to be very utilitarian (they try to use everything for something, wasting almost nothing, even eating corpses if necessary) but they are still fond of sand, sun and fire (the latter two also being religious spheres).

The civ's backstory is one of seperated tribes united under one person because of a common threat (another civ)
So any name involving sun/sand/fire would be nice, also some hierarchy names that suggest every settlement is actually a small tribe.
I usually have lots of inspiration for position names, but I've never done desert tribes before, nor have I often seen them :(
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with names
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 06:37:08 pm »

I've tried doing a desert race before as well, and the first thing that came to mind was feudal Arab power structures, with sultans and so forth. A little cursory Wikipedia research will provide details.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:07 pm »

The ancient Egyptians had nobles called Nomarchs. Sorta the feudal-lord equivalent -- but Egyptian.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:38:53 pm »

Perhaps "Solar Servant" could be the bookkeeper, and "Sun Khan" the highest position? Maybe have "Fire Chief" as local leaders?

ArcaneSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Pastafarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:48 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into these when I have the time.
Wanted: Signature Quotes
Reward: 1 honorable mention.