Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game locked up  (Read 491 times)

The Prince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game locked up
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:16:00 am »

I just went through a marathon session of Dwarf Fortress for the past 6-ish hours, and just when I was ready to quit, the game locked up, costing me everything I had done.  I didn't do anything different than I had been doing all night, so I'm unsure what may have caused the freeze.  It was spring of my third year, and I had 63 dwarves in a mountainous area with a brook nearby.  There was really nothing odd happening at the time; I was watching my miner run towards the wall I had designated for him, and just before he got there, everything stopped.

Also, this made me think of a suggestion : would it be possible to implement an auto-save feature that occurs at the beginning of each season?  I think that would be infrequent enough that people wouldn't complain, but often enough that you wouldn't lose, say, two years worth of work like I just did.

(Sorry if this has already been posted.  I did a search and came up with nothing.)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game locked up
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:00 am »

The is already an autosave feature. Go to the int.txt file, the option is there.

These lockups are an issue for a lot of people. They look to happen after a few gaming years, With me it is usually in the third or fourth year.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

Also, I had the game freeze up on me, 100% CPU, after 5-10 minutes it unfroze... wait 15 minutes just to be sure

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>Also, I had the game freeze up on me, 100% CPU, after 5-10 minutes it unfroze... wait 15 minutes just to be sure</STRONG>

Runing 33a.
I'm getting a hang/pause also. Seems to be more frequent in windowed mode and the pauses tends to occur in groups of 2-3. I have also had it happen in fullscreen mode but only just single pauses. The pause lasts at least 30 seconds out to about 2-3 minutes. Best thing I've found to do is to get the game paused and let the processor hammer on whatever it is.

The timing seems to be early on in a season when the caravan or siege armies are thought about or configured. Didn't happen up until goblin sieges and human caravans had become active. Only other thing that was done near then was the first windmill being installed.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

I get actual crashes to desktop that seem to connected with invaders - two times the game has crashed after goblins has arrived and once after a titan came to trash the place. Hmm, the new version is a splendid game, but I think I'll put it on hold till more bugs are squashed.