Author Topic: Fish!  (Read 1272 times)

Notething

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hey there!
    • View Profile
    • GFF Clan
Fish!
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:55:26 pm »

So I was trying out the Adventure Mode for the first time, can't find a single town for anything, turns out because they are broken. No big deal, I'll run around and kill stuff right? Hah, no. I found a river, thought it'd be smart to run along it. Nope. I fell off a cliff, and Tigerfish are probably the most viscous fish I have ever seen. I'm not sure what the falling did to me, but I know for the entirety of the battle with the tigerfish (Which I never got a chance to swing or shoot (Marksdwarf)) I was unconscious or stunned. I proceeded to drown a couple times, then bleed to death in the end due to the fish murdering me. So that's fun... I forgot that my original intent was to find my old fortress (Who's dwarves decided it was OK to not build the well before the water froze, which made them drown).

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
Re: Fish!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:08 am »

Invest at least two points in swimming, then train it somewhere with shores with slopes. Lakes or ocean should be good.
I don't need a signature.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »

If you think that's bad...
Earlier on, I started out a horrifically brief adventure.
...So I spawned right next to a river with a high swimming skill, after hearing of people getting really good combat skills by killing fish.
I was skeptical, but it seemed plausable.. If I missed crocodiles, and the such.
First I encountered a couple of MilkfishI think!, killed one, but one got away. This built me up somewhat, seeing that I could kill fish and they'd try to fight back somewhat.
Continuing on down this river, I meet a heard of Hippos. This terrified me, as I have already met Hippos in Fortress mode... They all fled down stream, thankfully. Except one.
So, with a Hippo swimming right towards me, I figure I'd best put faith in my sword and call it quits if I fail...
Killed it within a couple of steps. Slit throat. This made me think that actually, in a river, nothing could stop me.
How wrong I was.
I walked forwards for two squares, and I noticed a fish swimming towards me. I look at the fish... It's a Carp. This amused me, since I'd heard about dwarves dying from just seeing these, but after killing a hippo with such ease, one little fish couldn't possibly do any harm.
A few steps later, I was dead.
Didn't save any screenshots of my death unfortunately, but I think it bit strait through my skull.

The moral of the story is, Stay the hell away from water!
If you can't swim, the banks'll get you.. If you can... Then look out for that carp!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:27:52 pm »

Y'know what's a bigger threat than carp? Ice.

Seriously. If you have a decent throwing skill, then you can incapacitate a group of carp with bits of alligator and other fish before they can even reach you, then finish them off with your weapon of choice. Ice, on the other hand...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.