Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it just my machine? Title Screen Lag  (Read 632 times)

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it just my machine? Title Screen Lag
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

I've got a bit of a lag problem with DF.  I know, I know, the game is laggy, even if you have a good computer.  I don't know about good, but I do have a dual-core P4 @ 3.2GHz, and a Geforce6800 video card.

The reason why I am asking about lag is mostly because the unmodded game takes 20% of one core just to display the initial options at the start.  You know, Continue Playing, Start New, Design, and Quit.  I'm not sure if that's standard behavior or not, but it struck me as odd, as there's not that much going on in the title screen, is there?

I've tried the assign everything else to core 0, and DF to core 1, I've killed off every application so that only 8 other programs were running at the time, and the same CPU spike happens at the title screen.

Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just my machine? Title Screen Lag
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

DF is an independent game, and it's still in an alpha phase, so you can't expect the optimizations you are used from regular game releases. If you were a programmer, you knew that it's terribly easy to get 100% cpu load with just a few lines of code, that doesn't even display anything.
So, I guess you have to live with it.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

zagibu's rant aside, that's a bug.  It supposedly is at 0% for toady on the title screen, unless you're on mac where the display isn't set up quite right for that yet.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

Oh, I know how easily it is to bring the mightiest machine down to it's knees.  I've made a C++ calculator that can do nth powers and roots.  For some reason, it brings my machine to it's knees when n is greater than 1000.  Weird, hun?  Might have something do due with storing nearly everything as strings.  Sigh.

I was guessing it was my machine, so if I do reformat it sometime soon, I'll see if I can find if any of my drivers are causing the problem.

Sorry if it was a stupid question, it's just that I didn't see anything in the bug list, and searching the bug forum for 'lag' didn't help me find any relevant results for the particular form that I was experiencing.

Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chrispy:
<STRONG>Might have something do due with storing nearly everything as strings.</STRONG>

ZBMNMBLFF!  *explodes*

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!