Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 33g - thrown human passes through wall-grate  (Read 1154 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
33g - thrown human passes through wall-grate
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

I'm not exactly sure if this is a bug, or by design.  Perhaps humans liquefy when they travel at high enough speeds ... or they're made of liquid metal, like T-1000?

I have a bridge assigned to a lever set up that merchants have to cross, with the end blocked off by wall grates assigned to a separate lever.  I lower / raise the wall grates to attract the merchants to walk across the bridge and get stuck, then raised the bridge to flingify them.  All went well, hilarity ensued!

Until I saw that two of the guards had been flung through (over?) the grates.  This was inside a dwarf-made cave designed to be a trading depot, with the natural rock roof left untouched over it.  Perhaps I'm thinking of wall grates the wrong way - are they just chest high slates to sift solids from liquid, or is this actually odd behavior?

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Heavy Flak ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: 33g - thrown human passes through wall-grate
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Nah, they aren't supposed to go through.  I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

The proper fix for this, of course, is another really gory death type: forced through a grate by a raising drawbridge.
Its EXACTLY like forcing garlic through a garlic press, except its forcing merchants through a steel grate. Should end up with lots of blood and a pile of 'merchant chunks' on the other side of the grate.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

Another thing I've seen which could be related (doesn't seem to be listed in  bugs) is thrown creature or scattered/thrown body parts getting stuck on fortification tiles (of coz, they end up as corpse).  Basically, they can't be cleared/moved until I destroy the fortification, remove the items, then rebuild it back.  juz reporting.

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: sphr ]

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

I've actually seen sphr's bug(?) as well.  And I suppose it could be related to THAT, because a second attempt to flingify humans resulted in a merchant going instantly melancholy as he was lifted up onto the now-raised wall grates, and his two mules have since been "crawling around babbling"

I like Lord Nightmare's fix for this way more than I should.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

I can't find the thread, but I noted similar behavior before.  One of my stupid dwarves got himself stuck on the wrong side of the grate after building it -- between the floodgate and the grate, basically.  I decided to let him pay for his stupidity (mwuah hah hah!) and pulled the lever.  The water engulfed him, he began to panic (heh heh heh), and suddenly he was on the other side of the grate running as fast as his stubby legs would carry him.

Dunno how he squeezed through the bars, but he wasn't wounded at all.

(and he didn't even gain any swimming skills, either, dangit)

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax