Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Stealing from traders via Dump  (Read 1182 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
[38c] Stealing from traders via Dump
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

I was actually trying to steal an item from the Dwarven caravan and was surprised when I succeeded. I have replicated this bug several times by do as so; designating an area with a vertical drop as a garbage dump activity zone, designating one or several items within the trade depot to be "dumped" and then waiting for the traders to depart. At that point any idle Dwarves with the refuse hauling labor active will go over to the depot, pick up the items and dump them. At that point, it is a simple matter to abuse this by reclaiming the dumped item so it can be used normally. This is the only reason my last three forts have collected any Large Gems whatsoever.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Stealing from traders via Dump
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

Yeah, this got reported a while back.  I started a thread about it in Fort Mode discussion, illustrating how to steal the pants off of traders, and then someone took up the iniative and posted it in the bug reports.  Toady had already seen it from the first thread though, but it's good to be safe.

I'm still going to take the pants off of any merchants that come by.  It's too much fun not to.  Also, snagging all the bolts from a marksdwarf's quiver is great fun.  I actually considered starting a fortress wherein the goal was to stockpile as many stolen pairs of pants in a massive vault deep underground.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

BTW, the item isn't free.  The traders will know that they lost the item, just like if'd you'd spent less effort and just SEIZED GOODS.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

They didn't seem to notice when I was doing it...  They just stood around and waited for me to pluck more items off of them.  But then again, I was going for the stuff the traders and guards were actually using, not what they'd brought to trade.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I'm still going to take the pants off of any merchants that come by.  It's too much fun not to.  Also, snagging all the bolts from a marksdwarf's quiver is great fun.  I actually considered starting a fortress wherein the goal was to stockpile as many stolen pairs of pants in a massive vault deep underground.</STRONG>

Step One: Steal pants
Step Two: ???
Step Three: Profit

Credo of the Underpants Dwarves.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Khosan ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

It doesn't have to be a vertical garbage dump, either. I designated a large area as a dump and the dwarves seemed to drop everything in the top left corner, all items on one tile.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>BTW, the item isn't free.  The traders will know that they lost the item, just like if'd you'd spent less effort and just SEIZED GOODS.</STRONG>

Except that you can't sieze goods from dwarves.

Nicktendo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

Yes, I think there are way to many bugs for traders, I tried taking down the depot while the traders were in it, (at first just meaning to move them where they could be protected INSIDE my walls) but as soon as they took it down all the items the traders had in the depot were instantly transfered to me, with not negative consequences. And again, they were dwarves, humans, AND elves that this has worked on.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nicktendo:
<STRONG>Yes, I think there are way to many bugs for traders, I tried taking down the depot while the traders were in it, (at first just meaning to move them where they could be protected INSIDE my walls) but as soon as they took it down all the items the traders had in the depot were instantly transfered to me, with not negative consequences. And again, they were dwarves, humans, AND elves that this has worked on.</STRONG>

Seized goods again.

Tantrum dwarves destroying the depo: seized.

Wagons destroyed by various means (including scuttled due to no path): seized.

Toady accounted for being able to exploit the system and just made the traders really unhappy with you.  Yes, for dwarves it's probably an exploit because you can't normally seize the goods and they don't seige you, but for other races it happens.

Nicktendo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Somehow I doubt it, there haven't been any differences in their relations with me, in fact they seem even more happy to come back time and time again. Plus, if you wanted to you could give them a whole bunch of things (offer marked goods) to increase their favor, and than tear down the trading depot, and it would balance out. But like I said, it didn't seem to be the case.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

If I'm not mistaken--as I've seen it written repeatedly--merchants calculate their gains/losses by ON_ENTER_MAP - ON_LEAVE_MAP, therefore offering goods and then seizing them back again (plus some) doesn't work.

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

But does that calculation include the shirt on their backs?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Miminini:
<STRONG>But does that calculation include the shirt on their backs?</STRONG>

Eliphino.