Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pets' immaculate conception?  (Read 544 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Pets' immaculate conception?
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

This has happened a few times to me now - I've started up a fortress which has come with a few pets and the animals dragging the wagon. I haven't taken any horses except the one that was pulling the wagon, and she has just given birth to two foals without a male horse ever setting hoof on the map. Do female animals give birth even without a partner or something?
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Pets' immaculate conception?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

They can mate with animals traders bring, regardless of distance or such. Might that have happened?
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

Nope, definitely not. I had neglected to post this the first time I experienced it because I thought that may be a possibility (though I was pretty certain the dwarven caravan brought donkeys or mules, not horses), but in this game the dwarven caravan didn't arrive until over a month later (and as it's still my first year, I obviously haven't yet encountered elves or humans). The horse gave birth to two foals and the only animals that had been on the map at all were 3 dogs, 1 cat (pets I brought with me), the horse itself, 1 camel (pets that dragged the wagon to my settlement location), a couple of creatures in the magma pit and a little group of groundhogs on the other side of the mountain.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the first animal you take with you (per species) is female, and if no males are brought, then that female is marked as pregnant.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>I wouldn't be surprised to find that the first animal you take with you (per species) is female, and if no males are brought, then that female is marked as pregnant.</STRONG>

Afaik, this is not true, since I tend to start with either males or females (if only one is brought) and the females never give birth until after a male of the same species appears on the map.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dame de la Licorne:
<STRONG>Afaik, this is not true, since I tend to start with either males or females (if only one is brought) and the females never give birth until after a male of the same species appears on the map.</STRONG>

Then I am wrong, but you have to admit that it is a logical assumtion:
If the player starts with one, give them a way to reproduce: make it pregnant to start

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

It would be logical, but I've never had it happen.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 05:14:00 am »

i ended up with one camel when i started my last game, the dwarven caravan didn't have any camels, and the silly animal has given birth twice without there being any adult male camels ANYWHERE.

it caught my attention the first time it happened, because i noticed that i only had one camel and thought about acquiring another so they could breed, but she did it on her own.  the second time she had calves i thought perhaps she had mated with her own offspring and checked my animals list.  nope, the previous young were still young, not adults.

i suspect she's having a clindestine affair with one of my bulls or stallions...

cause of unexplainable mischief