Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Electricity  (Read 4575 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Electricity
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:43 am »

So let's rephrase the suggestion: We don't need electricity, since that can be modded in, but for realism's sake it'd be nice to be able to define multiple power types which can only be converted by buildings explicitly defined to do so, at a defined power cost.

electromagneticpulse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:42:20 am »

What link? This is well known. Toady refuses to implement anything past the middle ages (with a few exceptions), as he dislikes steampunk dwarves and so forth.

So the first electrostatic generator was made in the 1660's, but steel was first commercially produced in the 1800's. Avoiding the Baghdad battery issue right now, let's discuss that the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Arabs knew of electricity and its conductivity through metals before 0AD. The Greeks were using shocks from electric fish to try and cure headaches and gout.

Magnetism was a well known effect, in the beginning of the iron age. Why? Because non-quenched iron becomes magnetic along its length.

Please, if you're going to try and put something down at least provide the F-ing link to a quote by Toady explicitly refusing to implement electricity and not BS us with a claim that he refuses to implement anything beyond the middle ages. Besides the fact that there's steel, perpetual motion, adamantium, etc that makes no sense in a 'middle age' setting.

We're discussing a material property here. Even if he doesn't want to provide a use for electricity in the game it should still be in the game for a simple lightning system. Rain provides no danger in the game, when it should be accompanied by lightning and Dwarves being ground-dwelling creatures should be at risk if they're not properly building their caves. Above-ground Dwarves should be at risk of their wooden forts being struck with lightning and burning to the ground. You know the real risks medieval societies faced.

Modders could work with the rest so long as the base implementation is included. Toady obviously wants people to mod this game to their own liking, it's the only way to get good feedback, development and bug finding, so simply implementing the base system would allow us to mod it to our own liking and make everyone happy.

Like I said, Electricity can easily be a deniable aspect of the game. I've built forts without using waterwheels. I've had dwarves fill a reservoir at Z+20 from ground level by bucket because I didn't want to build the pumpstack and be using perpetual motion, and I didn't feel like making a massive windfarm in an area producing 20 power as I'd lose it all through gear mechanisms.

The Power element as is is completely deniable in game. You can build a wooden fort in a serene area and live off of above ground farming and survive off of leather and crossbows. Or you can ignore the entire wood economy by digging deep and finding magma. A single Dwarf can move Magma up a pumpstack if you take the time and you could ignore perpetual motion in the same.

I want this to be a discussion about how to make Electricity fit into DF, you obviously don't intend to help and you're not even making the effort to shoot me down properly. So either contribute or shut up because you blatantly have no valuable input so far. If you want this shot down, get Toady to say a simple "No", it's not going to be that hard if he's as vehemently against it like you claim.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 03:11:51 pm »

So let's rephrase the suggestion: We don't need electricity, since that can be modded in, but for realism's sake it'd be nice to be able to define multiple power types which can only be converted by buildings explicitly defined to do so, at a defined power cost.
I have been trying to articulate these exact sentiments for ages. All we really need to get the ball rolling is the ability to create 'power' with a reaction, and a [NEEDS_POWER:X] tag or whatever for workshops. That'd take us up to about the early 1800s all by itself, and more or less plausibly at that.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:42 pm »

I know electricity has been discussed elsewhere, but I was wondering if there's anyone is up for electricity in DF.

First it would be a nice requirement that Aluminum can only be processed in an Electric Forge. It could be used like a magma-furnace.

Electricity would be produced by a generator, which would require blocks, copper (aluminum/silver/gold) wire, mechanisms, etc. It would have to be connected up to a waterwheel or windmill (or a gear/axle) and would take all its power and turn it into amps (for simplicity). Too many amps in a single conductive line would cause the wires to melt, which would set things on fire or melt them until it's cooled or quenched. If it's kept connected (IE in a magma safe conduit) it will hit its boiling point and melt anything that has a lower melting point than its boiling point, beyond this the gas should be like magma-mist and be an insta-kill until it cools.

Electricity could be used in traps, either by causing something to melt and hitting a enemy with boiling metal, or be used to electrocute something (providing it has thin skin, or a heart to fibrillate for that matter). It could also be used as a power source for forges, but would require a lot of electricity to keep running.

An alternate source of power could be the creation of large galvanic batteries; insulated rooms with dissimilar metals and the room flooded with salt water, or if necessary Dwarven Wine. These batteries would slowly degrade the metals inside and would have to be drained and remade to continue providing power. Too much draw on the battery would cause the liquid inside to boil and produce poisonous gas (chlorine gas for example).

It would also pave way for lightning, which could strike and kill dwarves when it's raining, but could also randomly produce raw-glass if it hits sand, or could electrify an object (or body of water).

The risks of electricity would be: overloading your wiring and melting your base. Not insulating your wiring and electrifying a steel wall, floor or something. Not insulating your wiring and electrifying your water source (wouldn't damage your wells, unless they're made conductive, but would paralyze any dwarves drinking within the electrocuted area). Similarly conductive ground could be a danger. Building your base in an area with conductive soil could mean random electrocutions. You'd have to be careful laying exposed wires as a trail of ores like magnetite/electronium and other metallic ores could lead a path to either water, or a structure.

Finally electricity could be used in any religious plans in the future. Make a gold-plated statue and connect it to a weak electrical source (a generator run off of a low-wind windmill or an overloaded waterwheel, or a weak battery) and use it to make your dwarves feel the 'touch of god'.

I'm sure others around here could think of good uses for electricity in the game that wouldn't be unsuitable considering the presence of Adamantine, Magma casting, etc. If you choose to ignore electricity in your game, you would only have minor side effects (such as the random lightning strike) from the change. It would also enable a new attack type in our enemies.

For the very last I reference you to Frankenstein, and say good day at the possibilities of Monster Crafting!

How about thermite? You could use iron and aluminum to make thermite to set things on fire!
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 04:29:10 pm »

More ways to set things on fire nevertheless.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing it moddable, since ancients knew of electric properties. They mainly thought of it as "shocks of god" with gold and such.

konzill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »

I have been trying to articulate these exact sentiments for ages. All we really need to get the ball rolling is the ability to create 'power' with a reaction, and a [NEEDS_POWER:X] tag or whatever for workshops. That'd take us up to about the early 1800s all by itself, and more or less plausibly at that.

Yes Please. Power tags would go a long way to enabling all sorts of mods.  I'd personally favor steam power, but given the existence of the tag either one could be modded into the game, if it cannot be include in the base installation. 

I guess this will become feasible (if / when) the power generating structures make their way into the raws.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 01:46:14 am »

I'll throw down my two cents on that idea. A complex set of interactions involving conductivity and biological effects of electricity would be sweet, but I'd be more than psyched just to have the ability to make custom workshops that generated or required power as it exists in its current form.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 01:53:40 am »

Electrical conductivity and stuff would be sweeeeeeet!!! >:D 

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »

I like the idea of electricity, but the knowledge the ancients had of electricity was arcane at best. The egyptians used a basic electrochemical reaction to gold-plate objects, but even well into the 1800s, not much useful knowledge of electricity and magnetism was well developed even among those that new what was going on. That's just a little bit beyond the 1400s cutoff.

However, I would like to see lightning pop up at some point. Doesn't even need electrical principles, it could probably be simulated as a bolt of heat.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 10:02:40 am »

However, I would like to see lightning pop up at some point. Doesn't even need electrical principles, it could probably be simulated as a bolt of heat.

I agree that random strikes of lightning would be neat. A way for fire to exist naturally would be nice. Also it would be funny for a dwarf to be struck by lightning. Or a windmill.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 05:40:09 pm »

I agree that random strikes of lightning would be neat. A way for fire to exist naturally would be nice. Also it would be funny for a dwarf to be struck by lightning. Or a windmill.
Dorf Quixote. Sure.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »

I like the idea of getting zapped by electricity in the middle of a storm while wrestling crocodiles in the river...gives a new way to a watery grave aside from drowning & random freezing.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:54 am »

So the first electrostatic generator was made in the 1660's, but steel was first commercially produced in the 1800's. Avoiding the Baghdad battery issue right now, let's discuss that the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Arabs knew of electricity and its conductivity through metals before 0AD. The Greeks were using shocks from electric fish to try and cure headaches and gout.

Magnetism was a well known effect, in the beginning of the iron age. Why? Because non-quenched iron becomes magnetic along its length.

Steel was first commercially produced around 300 BC in India. It wasn't mass-produced until the 1800s because that's when mass production was invented.

And knowing about electric fish and compass needles does not amount to a technology. It's a long way--a couple thousand years, even--from building any kind of electrical machinery, which, let's face it, is what people are thinking about when they talk about "electricity in DF".

Besides the fact that there's steel, perpetual motion, adamantium, etc that makes no sense in a 'middle age' setting.

Steel existed in the Middle Ages, perpetual motion is technically a bug, and adamantine (note spelling, please) is a fantasy setting element. The real Middle Ages didn't have kobolds, either.

We're discussing a material property here. Even if he doesn't want to provide a use for electricity in the game it should still be in the game for a simple lightning system.

The simple way to simulate electricity is to add conductivity and dielectric constant as material properties and use Ohm's law everywhere and this will not simulate lightning. Assuming charge somehow builds up in the sky, it will either stay there forever or uniformly bleed off through the air, depending on whether the air is conductive at all. I suppose you could build a copper spire to the highest z-level and short out the entire atmosphere, which would be Fun, but other than that, it won't do anything.

The only way to get lightning, short of a really beastly physics simulation, is to special-case it as an effect of rainstorms. While it's slightly useful then to have electrical conductivity to determine where the lightning is likely to hit, thermal conductivity is a decent approximation, for reasons I don't feel like explaining right now. Whereas once electrical conductivity is in, we'll be deluged with suggestions like the ones from when the 3D version was new and everyone went crazy over the material raws: "Hey, saltpeter is in! We can make gunpowder! And pitchblende--we can extract uranium! Hey, Toady, the game does simulate radiation poisoning, right? Can I build a nuclear bomb to use against the goblins?"

Rain provides no danger in the game, when it should be accompanied by lightning and Dwarves being ground-dwelling creatures should be at risk if they're not properly building their caves. Above-ground Dwarves should be at risk of their wooden forts being struck with lightning and burning to the ground. You know the real risks medieval societies faced.

The real risk from rain should be flooding, since you live in a hole in the ground. Hardly anyone builds aboveground wooden forts anyway--wood is too scarce for that.

"But you can..." "But maybe you're playing some weird challenge game..." "But maybe you've modded the game to be Human Town and you have no miners..." But in its basic, as-distributed form the game doesn't really support wooden forts as a construction style. So spending a hundred hours implementing another framerate-killing layer of physics simulation, so that someone playing a specific marginal strategy can have the satisfaction of watching it burn down in a physically realistic manner, doesn't seem like a great use of developer time.

People play challenge games, but the point of a challenge game is that the game isn't exactly designed for that. It's designed around its core concept, which is still (I'm pleased to note): Dwarves. They build a fortress.

The Power element as is is completely deniable in game. You can build a wooden fort in a serene area and live off of above ground farming and survive off of leather and crossbows. Or you can ignore the entire wood economy by digging deep and finding magma. A single Dwarf can move Magma up a pumpstack if you take the time and you could ignore perpetual motion in the same.

And yet it's in there because it's appropriate to the setting and concept of the game.

Right now, mechanical power can be used for only two things: pumps, which are extremely useful, and millstones, which are pointless. Toady has talked before about extending this to more kinds of machinery, like conveyor systems, elevators, and mechanized workshops. All of those could be electrical but there's no reason they have to be. They can run on wind power or some guy turning a crank.

The machines that require electricity are the ones that are blatantly out of setting, like telephones and lasers. They don't belong in the game. The cleanest way to keep them out is to avoid anything electrical.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 03:12:21 pm »

Steel wasn't cheap intill the late 1800s, but steel has been around for atleast 4000 years, but it was expensive, as it is in Df.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.
Pages: 1 [2]