Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Program or be Programmed  (Read 2982 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Program or be Programmed
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:36 am »

Programming is a tough skill that takes years to develop. It's not like farming or picking cotton.. a programmer can become a farmer more easily than the other way around. Still, as someone who can program, I find it pretty easy to pick up, just like a language. I have a math lecturer who hasn't done C programming in 2 decades, and never touched network programming, but he programmed a fully functional server in a day in C.

Back in the ancient days, scribes, who were just literate, got the highly paid elite jobs. These days, it's programmers. Keep in mind that the people making killer robots and guided ICBMs aren't computer scientists - they're engineers. Stockbrokers need some Excel programming skills, engineers need AutoCAD and MATLAB skills, and the ones directly applying it to controllers are going to need C, C# skills.

So, yeah, I personally see programming skills as important as literacy a while back. 50 years from now, they'll probably be teaching basic programming in 2nd grade. The repetitive ABC in schools will be replaced with kids making kindergarteners making flowcharts. It's not unlikely.. I learned to use BASIC and playing with circuits when I was 5, just because it was fun.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 11:50:37 am »

The same's true for almost any engineering division, though the basics of programing may be easier to pick up at times. Still, if even a subdivision of any engineering field decides the world's better off without them, we all have a PROBLEM. Rocketry? No more communication satellites. Metallurgy? Try building a car engine from plastic or ceramics. Architectural engineering? You'd better not be planning to live in a city. Heck even urban planing, water management and applied sociology are pretty vital.

Perhaps someone should write a book about how educated people are the social elite of the world
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:56:07 am by Virex »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 11:51:11 am »

Programming is a tough skill that takes years to develop.

Like accounting.

It's not like farming.

What? I am pretty sure it takes quite a bit to be a good farmer.

Have you ever farmed on a large scale?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 11:51:44 am »

If all the plumbers decided to go on strike, the world would be in deep shit.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 11:52:45 am »

If all the plumbers decided to go on strike, the world would be in deep shit.

you will die for that pun.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:26 am »

Will I d4, d6, d10, d12 or d20?

Oh my god, I'm on a roll!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:00:42 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:43 am »

It's not like farming.

What? I am pretty sure it takes quite a bit to be a good farmer.

Have you ever farmed on a large scale?

Large scale farmers get paid more than programmers. So they are higher up the social ladder if you're judging it by pay :P I thought people meant the ones who own a ranch with a couple of cows and some potatoes.

Heh, interestingly, the farmers in ancient China had a high standing in society, even above the artisans and merchants.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »

Have you ever raised a heard of cattle?

Although yes, a hobby farm most likely takes less skills then programing.

But that is not a profession.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 11:09:18 am »

Although yes, a hobby farm most likely takes less skills then programing.

Less than hobby programming? It's not like it's massively hard to be good enough to do anything.
Less than code monkeys? If you worked in 'the industry' you'd know how bad the vast majority of coders are (or a least how little they care to do their decent code at work).

I have no idea if farming is harder but I doubt I could do more than growing a few simple vegetables without having to look up in books. Code I can do so it's hard to compare.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:01 pm »

If you have good soil, plants will grow themselves.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 10:33:50 pm »

Most of them poison weeds.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 05:32:01 pm »

I has been coding since I was 12.  Soon, I will take over the world.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

If you worked in 'the industry' you'd know how bad the vast majority of coders are

Especially the ones who self-identify as "coders".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 02:39:13 am »

If you worked in 'the industry' you'd know how bad the vast majority of coders are

Especially the ones who self-identify as "coders".

Well it was either that or code monkeys :) they aren't much good for much else
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 [2]