Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can't run the game  (Read 1000 times)

explodingworlds

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
can't run the game
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

hi guys...

just read an article about this and i'm really eager to try it out! but it won't run on my computer somehow...any hints what to try?
i'm running winXP, tried compatibility mode...and yes i have all my files in the correct folders (data folder, index-file). it just crashes when i start, no error messages, nothing in the gamelog....

thanks for your help!

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can't run the game
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by explodingworlds:
<STRONG>hi guys...

just read an article about this and i'm really eager to try it out! but it won't run on my computer somehow...any hints what to try?
i'm running winXP, tried compatibility mode...and yes i have all my files in the correct folders (data folder, index-file). it just crashes when i start, no error messages, nothing in the gamelog....

thanks for your help!</STRONG>

Check the Windows event log, maybe you will find something there.
From personal experience I can tell you that a fairly decent GfX-driver will help. If you have a nVidia card stay clear of the most recent 169.21 (or the lower ones work okay, version numbers smaller than 165).
Other than that, well... without any hints or further info on your machine it is hard to tell what is making DF crash.

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Try downloading the game from a different mirror.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

SupremeOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Turn off sound in init.txt in case it's a problem with that.

Also, do you have windowed mode set to "prompt"?  If so, does the prompt show up or not?

explodingworlds

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

thanks! it works now....i downloaded from a different mirror and played around with the INIT file....strange but it only runs in the windowed mode with graphics enabled.....
the game is great by the way...but some graphic and mouse won't hurt...and more automation...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

Nice graphics and interface are kind of last on the list.

Odd that it doesn't like running in fullscreen with graphics. I prefer to run in windowed mode, myself, as it allows me to chat on irc, check the wiki, etc, with out having to constantly alt-tab around.

Such is the nature of a game in alpha, eh?

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

Aye, this game has much to go before it's completed, so don't worry about the interface and graphics, chances are (to some people's chagrin, it seems) it won't stay ascii forever. Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Don't forget to feed the carp!