Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the wiki military page outdated?  (Read 624 times)

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is the wiki military page outdated?
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:55:18 am »

I'm coming back to DF after a few months of break since I got married.  When I left, it was practically impossible to make marksdwarves actually train, and difficult to get anybody to train at all.  The wiki says:
Barracks are still necessary for training, but due to a bug it appears that your dwarves will only train when Inactive, despite what the Train command may have you believe. Marksdwarf training also appears to still be a bit glitchy.
Are either of those sentences still true?  Will my marksdwarves train if I get them crossbows, bolts, an archery range, then set them to active duty (training) and hit assign the squad to "T" (train) at the specific archery range?

What are the other assignments at the barracks that you can assign to squads?  I know T means train, but what about I, Q, and the other one?

If somebody could help me out here, I'd be happy to update the wiki myself.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the wiki military page outdated?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:07:50 am »

Yes, that article is outdated.  Dwarves will train if set to train while active.  Your marksdwarves will train if you assign them training bolts and an archery range and set them to active.  However, they WILL use up their quiver when they're there- don't give them combat bolts when you want them to train.

The other barracks options are for setting them to sleep in the barracks and store their equipment there if they can.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?