Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most unusual embark location  (Read 800 times)

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most unusual embark location
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:58:26 pm »

I just had one of my most eye-popping jaw dropping moments ever.  Brand new 31.16 fort, chose a site that a river runs through it (not especially afraid of FPS, just kicking the tires on .16 anyway).  Strike the earth page, hit escape, code churns in the background for a few seconds...

Huh?  What?  How in the name of Armok did those fools manage that!?!?!?

The wagon is parked on the river.  It's frozen, and 1 level below ground.  There are no ramps in the sides of the frozen part.  None at all.  Some ramps leading to an unfrozen part, and the river itself goes off screen to the top.  But they couldn't have reached current position via the terrain on this level.  Did they walk up a canyon, on top of a frozen river, as the spring thaw began?  Or did Armok drop them in that location as a special test of fortitude?  However they got there, the temperature better hold or this is going to be one of the shortest expeditions ever.

Before unpausing from the embark I popped up to the surface, designated a garbage and meeting zone, set orders to collect outside refuse, and mass designated all the stocks for dumping.  Designated some stairs and crossed fingers.

By some miracle, they all managed to be topside when the ice melted.  Hard to tell if all the goods were saved, but at least I still have a starting seven.  Snagged a copy of the initial autosave, will probably reload and record a movie of it.   ;)

BTW my previous favorite "Fate of Armok" embark was on 40d next to an open chasm with a GCS.  That doesn't compete with a temperature controlled auto-retracting bridge of doom.   8)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Re: Most unusual embark location
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:44:44 am »

Despite the oddness, this pales in comparison to the inverse volcano embark.
Armok will be "nice" and try to place you as close to the center of the embark as possible.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:51:15 am »

Island volcano, half the island collapsed on embark... HILARIOUS. The first cavern was 121z levels down, and is populated almost solely by crundles.

I was also stuck on the edge of the map, with cliffs on all sides going 20 levels up.

Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:07:30 am »

Well, at least there isn't a (water) drowning in store on the volcano spots.  But agree, that would be pretty spectacular too.   8)

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:10:34 am »

Your guess was probabily correct. I mean, they were following the frozen stream right until the spring thaw began.

That said, too bad the wagon could not be saved...