Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves given necessities, but only one practices at a time?  (Read 740 times)

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I created an archery range with 5 targets, and assigned my marksdwarves squad ZTIQ.  Also on the military page, they all have checkmarks next to "crossbow" and the squad has 200 bolts assigned to them (but only one set of bolts shows a checkmark - maybe that's what's wrong).

However, they take turns using the archery range.  I know they shouldn't share a single target, but only one dwarf will practice in the room at a time.

Any ideas?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves given necessities, but only one practices at a time?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:20:58 pm »

Just assign each target as an archery range. It doesn't matter if they overlap.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:48 pm »

That worked for a little bit, now their job just says "Soldier (cannot follow order)"

Hmm...

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:34:41 pm »

Don't worry, they will continue training if they are scheduled to train and are not being ordered to patrol, station somewhere, or something like that.  Just double check their schedule and make sure all the proper parameters are set. 

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:25 pm »

That worked for a little bit, now their job just says "Soldier (cannot follow order)"

Hmm...

That means they're on-duty militia. "Cannot follow order" means you can't assign them any civ tasks, such as digging or hauling.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:25:33 pm »

I usually see "Cannot follow order" if they're supposed to be training when I haven't assigned the archery range/barracks to be used as training for that squad.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:01:17 am »

on some previous version I've seen that if you have archery targets put one near the other they will train only one at once.

it seemed resolved in latter versions, but I'd say try to put the targets separated by one tile. it doesn't matter if the room then overlaps.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 03:29:43 am »

marksdwarves still want to train their other stuff, like dodging, and will just revert to cannot follow order if you don't designate a barracks for them
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:27:41 am »

So... (just to be clear on the matter) they will not practice at the archery range if they do not have a barracks? But if they have a barracks, they might practice dodging instead...?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 07:34:19 am »

Right.

After fighting with it for god knows how long, i found the best way to do it is to have them all broken into single dwarf squads with a barracks right near an archery target surrounded by an ammo stockpile. They won't be able to waste time with biting demonstrations if they're alone, and they won't practice with one quiver full of bolts per season either.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]