Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viewport  (Read 745 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Viewport
« on: December 19, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

Is their any way to increase the view port for DF?
If there is, does it affect the FPS?

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viewport
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

You can use a larger font.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

No.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:52:00 am »

I think the OP was asking if there's a way to increase the character count displayed (80x25?)
While it would be a great improvement, and deserves much merit of consideration, it isn't currently possible.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

80 x 25 is such an odd size...  I've never understood why it was chosen over 80x40  or something a little less irregular.  Of course I'd love to have a resizable window, but even if it was changed to a different size I'd be happy

Sigil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

80x25 isn't so much an odd size as just a really archaic one.  It was one of the original options for text mode on a lot of early computer displays.  It's a relatively appropriate counterpart to using "Roguelike" ASCII graphics, since a lot of the first games of Rogue were in fact played on 80x25 screens.

Now, that being said, I certainly would prefer a 160x120 option or so...

Magus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by termitehead:
<STRONG>80 x 25 is such an odd size...  I've never understood why it was chosen over 80x40  or something a little less irregular.  Of course I'd love to have a resizable window, but even if it was changed to a different size I'd be happy</STRONG>

Tradition.  80x25 are the dimensions of a character terminal (although the 25th line is often reserved as a status line).  It's irregular because English fonts need to be taller than they need to be wide, so you can get more characters across the width of a relatively square display than you can vertically.  Also, I believe, it was decided that getting more characters across a line was more useful than getting more lines at once, as most of those displays are somewhat rectangular.

In the grand tradition of roguelikes, the display defaults to 80x25 because you have fair confidence that this is a terminal size everybody's computer will be able to support.  (Never mind that DF emulates a terminal emulator in OpenGL.)