Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Site finder only gives first result?  (Read 1655 times)

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Site finder only gives first result?
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:59:24 am »

The site finder is really neat, when I am trying to find a site with no aquifer, and having flux.  However, it appears to only be giving me back the first site that matches my search, which usually happens to be way up in the north pole where the snow never melts.  Is there a way to cycle through all the sites that match my search?

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Site finder only gives first result?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

You can also specify your preferred climate.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:56 am »

but no, find will only return one site...its a shame but there it is.

Best bet if you really want to use find is to read up a little on various terrains, decide what you want and run a more specific (f)ind
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:12 am »

Thanks for the info.  I realized while writing the post that I could specify the climate, but was hoping I could still cycle through the results.  I'll probably stick to manual finding for now then.  :(

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15:50 am »

Or alternately, embark on the trash site and immediately abandon.  The site finder will subsequently skip that site.

Or just look manually.  It's what I usually do.  The finder is a bit too lacking for my purposes most of the time.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:20:16 am »

I always found that strange about the finder. After all it doesn't stop searching after the first site is found but always searches everything.

Seems to be it should either be able to stop searching and so be faster or let you cycle as it's searched everything.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 10:58:07 am »

I always found that strange about the finder. After all it doesn't stop searching after the first site is found but always searches everything.

Seems to be it should either be able to stop searching and so be faster or let you cycle as it's searched everything.

Agree absolutely!
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:44 am »

This is why I look for my sites the old fashioned way.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:34:09 am »

However, it appears to only be giving me back the first site that matches my search, which usually happens to be way up in the north pole where the snow never melts.  Is there a way to cycle through all the sites that match my search?

Currently no, but a workaround for this is to specify a setting you don't really care about and, if necessary, cycle through the different settings, and run a new search. Hopefully the finder will pick another spot. I agree the site finder behavior to be inconsistent, if not annoying.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I realized while writing the post that I could specify the climate, but was hoping I could still cycle through the results.   :(
Me too. Or maybe even "FORCE" the world generator to create an exact site with the biomes and climates that you want.

But that would probably be too advanced for the DF interface and make the game too fun, so it's back to generating thousands of worlds, looking for the needle.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »

I've added this issue onto the voting list http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php
Go vote for it if you want this implemented.