Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I THINK IM SMART.....  (Read 4546 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: I THINK IM SMART.....
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:57 am »

yea i know english is needed i just don't need forum monkeys to remind me.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 09:47:36 am »

derr i is bloodsheder i no wants help i just wants atenshun derr.
Oh ok.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:55 am »

I've been doing IT in one form or another for about 15 years now.  I have a BS in Computer Science.  Not exactly the same thing...  But close enough for government work.

Having read through the entire thread the first thing I'm going to tell you is that you seriously need to work on your communication skills.

I don't care what kind of mad skillz you've got, you're going to have to deal with other human beings.  You're going to have to communicate with them. 

A large amount of it will be written.  You'll need to be able to string words together in a coherent manner.  Sure, yes, this is a forum...  But it's a good idea to get into the habit of writing semi-coherently everywhere.  You do not want to accidentally slip into casual forumspeak in the middle of a professional correspondence.  It's especially easy to spell/capitalize things correctly these days.  The software virtually does it for you.

Also in the vein of communication skills - learn how to take criticism more constructively.  You aren't perfect.  You never will be.  Somebody out there is going to tell you that you're doing something wrong.  You need to be able to take that criticism and do something useful with it.

As for the education part of things...  I don't think there's really a whole hell of a lot for me to tell you. 

If you're genuinely interested in IT you should already be doing your own reading and research.  You should be reading various IT-related forums, peeking into various open-source projects, grabbing random books from the store/library, etc.  You'll be introduced to new concepts and authors throughout the course of your education - some of them will interest you, some of them will not.  You'll naturally go learn more about the interesting stuff. 

I could point you at some classics...  But you should probably have read them by now.  If not, they'll come up in your classes soon enough.  I could point you at some texts I found especially useful, but they'll likely be completely useless to you.  I could list some of the textbooks I read during my education, but they'll be out of date by now.  IT is a fast-paced field.  Printed text has a hard time keeping up.  Your best bet is going to be on-line documentation and collaboration.

If you aren't genuinely interested in IT, stop now.  Folks in IT work long hours for relatively crappy pay.  If you don't enjoy what you do you're going to get burnt out very quickly.  And we've got more than enough clueless code monkeys just slogging through the day for a paycheck.  We don't need any more of them.  We need genuinely passionate people.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15:10 am »

I completely agree with the first five lines of the post above me.

Having no IT knowledge, I cannot say about the other ones.

(On a completely unrelated note, Black Mage is awesome and Ephemerlis is therefore awesome for having an avatar of him.)
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:10 am »

You specifically asked for advice.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2010, 10:39:35 am »

not in english though.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 10:41:24 am »

No speech Espanolo.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:27 am »

You asked for advice on how to get into the IT field. Communication/English skill is relevant to that. If you can't accept valid criticism or advice, you're going to have trouble in any field, especially something like IT, where people are wrong on a very frequent basis, including probably you. Just take the advice for what it's worth, determine if it's useful, and move on. You don't have to get super-defensive about it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

not in english though.
Alright folks, rest of our advice shall now be administered in French. He clearly doesn't want advice in English.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2010, 10:51:57 am »

No speech Francois.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2010, 12:34:40 pm »

No speech Espanolo.
No habla ingles por favor.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »

shit ok im done, i got my advice please close before something scar me for life.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2010, 01:32:15 pm »

You can lock the thread yourself if the prospect of talking to people who aren't yes-men scares you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]