Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Master Thief  (Read 413 times)

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Master Thief
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:53:06 am »

I just had a wave of migrants, and I noticed one dressed in gray robes (Phoebus' tileset). At first I thought this was an enemy, but he's not a kobold/goblin, he's a dwarf. I checked therapist, and sure enough, he's one of mine.

Oddly, he didn't have any labors on, including the hauling ones, but I can turn them on and off. Another weird thing, when I mouse over his name, it only shows his military skills (Knife user, ambusher, plus one called 'unknown') even though he has a square on hunter. When I mouse over hunter, it says "adept ambusher". Are ambusher and hunter considered the same thing?

I checked for "Master thief" or just "Thief", and all that comes up is the page on kobold/goblin thieves.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Master Thief
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:54:57 am »

Ambusher is a skill your dwarfs use to "stealth"

That sounds like the migrant weirdness from .13, are you playing the newest version?

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:14:35 am »

No, I'm playing .12

Waiting for the newb pack to catch up before I update. But if the weirdness is from a version later than mine, that can't be it, right?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:16:51 am »

I'm not certain when that weirdness started showing up to be completely honest, but that's the only time I ever heard of immigrants showing up with the thief job.  It's really quite harmless, though.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:25:51 am »

Alright. I was just wondering if it was a legit job I hadn't heard of. How cool would it be to have a thief dwarf who, let's say, steals from the caravans. His skill would determine whether he got caught, and if he got away with it, there'd be no drop in relations.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:34:09 am »

Actually, another odd thing, there's the square in 'hunting', but if I look in-game, he's got no hunting skill at all. Appears the unknown skill was 'military tactics' which is odd because in the wiki, it says that skill was added in .14, and I'm running .12. It does explain why it's listed as unknown in therapist, though, since I'm using the older version that came w/ the Lazy Newb Pack.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 01:39:38 am »

That is odd. :/ 
Again, though, harmless.
Are you getting gobs/kobolds?  I mean, you should in .12 but everything else sounds like .13/.14 so I thought I'd ask.  I have no idea why it would be acting like a future version, though.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:54:45 am »

I've not gotten any yet, but I'm only in Spring of my second year.

Yet another odd thing, I can't put him in any squads, he doesn't show up in the candidates list. Not that he'd be very useful, as I don't have any knives to arm him with. But I've nothing else to do with him, and I'm trying to build a squad of marksdwarfs.

I could make him a hunter, but idk how to order him to hunt.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:56:47 am »

I had that problem with some migrants in .12, after a couple of months he finally just showed up in the list.  No idea what the problem was.  To get them to hunt, just enable the hunting labor.  Provide a crossbow and bolts and he'll go hunting.  You can set which ammo he uses in the military screen under ammunition.  (f) I think.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:09:01 am »

My Master Thief is my special lever puller. :)

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:01 am »

Hunter labor = ambusher skill. Used to sneak up on prey. Although his/her Marksdwarf skill will also go up at the same time.

Also, the fact that you can turn his labors on and off tells me that this is probably unrelated to the strange migrant problem, which was exclusive to version .13. Migrants with weird classes like Drunk or Trader or whatnot could not be assigned any labors in that version.

The part about the unknown skill, I don't know.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.