Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to use tilesets  (Read 423 times)

TheChein

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
how to use tilesets
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:23:04 am »

Okay... I've got the primary tileset worked out.  where the hell do I plug in a dwarf or a creature tileset... ?  I've seen tile sets with nothing but dwarves and they would make it so much easier to distinguish what exactly in the hell is going on when I've got 100 midgets standing around drinking beer and farting at each other.

Can somebody just tell me the code block used to implement these tile sets and where to drop it into my init file?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: how to use tilesets
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:19 am »

Tilesets and creature graphics are two different things.

If you want creature/dwarf graphics, those go in your "graphics" folder, not data.
Take a look at mine or Phoebus' or Mike Mayday's, and get a sense of how it all works.
It's not too complicated, but you probably want to look at an example to get the picture.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to use tilesets
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:59:02 pm »

Like Ironhand said, easiest thing to do is to download his or Mayday's or anyone else's graphics pack and see how it's put together.

Basically, look in your raw/graphics folder (once you have downloaded a graphics pack). There you will find the .bmp files of the creature graphics, as well at the graphics_whatever.txt files that tell the game which graphic to associate with which creature.