Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves still ignore zone orders  (Read 434 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves still ignore zone orders
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:11:00 am »

The Dwarves always flock to a specific spot at the river near the center latitude line on the map to drink, they sometimes go all the way to the only bridge near the edge of the map to get to the exact spot on the other side of the river. Despite setting the orders to "Dwarves Drink at activity zones only" they still do this.  

"Its no wonder you got mauled by a bear, you ran right right up to him because you insisted on drinking there rather then the clearly marked drinking ponds along the way.  If you wanted the river so badly, why didn't you run to the spot upstream thats closer to the fort.  Oh well, lets get you together and into the -Mudstone coffin-."

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves still ignore zone orders
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

Same behaviour here, they refuse to drink from zones (I selected both land and water tiles) and insist on going to a specific spot full of angry fish that kill them all as soon as they come near the water.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:43:00 am »

Could it be that since you designated a portion of the river, the dwarves assumed that you meant the entire feature?
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

Dwarves won't drink stagnant water.
If booze is available, they'll drink it before drinking water.
I don't know how they act about well.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »

I had a zone designated for drinking, on a river, with plenty of room for dwarves. There were no other tasks associated with the zone, and it was the shortest distance for any dwarf to travel. I set orders to zone-only drinking just to make sure they wouldn't go wandering off and drink from other parts of the river full of spindly killer death carp.
Nonetheless all the thirsty dwarves took a several mile trek to the lair of the spindly killer death carp in order to drink, subsequently getting *one-shot-killed* by the carp at that location and drug underwater.
By the time I abandoned the fort there were half a dozen perfectly capable dwarves at the bottom of the river, including a competent axedwarf.

In short there are three bugs here:
1. The zones aren't working correctly for drinking. Setting it to zone only should *forbid* any other drinking areas, just like forbidding dwarves to go outside during a siege.
2. Fish should skill up for swimming unless dwarves skill up equally as much from standing around looking stupid.
3. Yes, carp will attack your finger if you dangle them in the water, but if you put something down longer than a finger (like a hand or a beard) they'll run away faster than a kobold from a sheriff (or swim, if you like). They shouldn't be able to drag dwarves to their doom, they're the size of a shoe.

I'm sure, based on other reports, that these are known to some degree. This is just to confirm that there *is* in fact a problem with zones, fish, and swimming skill ups.

-Dgn. Biscuit

Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.