Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has the Aquifer rate increased or something?  (Read 1038 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Has the Aquifer rate increased or something?
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:33 am »

With the newest version, the past three worlds I've created have aquifers on nearly every space except mountains. There's only one square that doesn't have it for every thirty that do, at least.

Have they always been this prevalent? Or do the little squiggly lines next to soil names on the embark screen now show you if there's a river as well? Because honestly, this is getting incredibly frustrating. I want somewhere that ISN'T nigh impossible to dig down damnit!  :'(
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has the Aquifer rate increased or something?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:18 am »

you could just turn them off in the raws by going to inorganic_stone_soil, inorganic_stone_mineral, and inorganic_stone_layer and removing all the [AQUIFER] tags.

did it a while ago, way less annoying now.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:06:16 am »

Aquifers aren't hard to break through once you've done it a few times. I can usually piece them in my first season, and then I've got a) all the water they can drink and b) all the fish they can fish. The only drawback at that point is the holes in the surface where you've collapsed non-aquifer soil into the aquifer to pierce it and needing to make new holes if you want other connections between the surface and the depths.

As for your question, I think I've noticed a new-found prevalence of aquifers in the newest version as well (I often avoid aquifers too). It might be that the new settlements tend to sprawl over the non-aquifer areas, and we're left with the dregs, but I'm not sure.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:21 am »

I like to have one embark square with an aquifer.

Then I use cave ins to drop a single aquifer tile down to each z-level and use that as a massive output, non pressurised water source.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:08 am »

With the newest version, the past three worlds I've created have aquifers on nearly every space except mountains.

I've found that too, albeit with every one of the DF2010 versions rather than just recently.

If you go to semi-custom worldgen and generate a region rather than an island, it seems that you get fewer aquifers.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »

Just look at the world and think about where the water would go. Next to a big lake you can expect holes you dig to fill up with water just seeping in. Next to an ocean same thing. There are basically no basements in Texas because of how close it is to the ocean and how flat the place is. Flat obviously doesn't make for an aquifer all on it's own but how much water is around it?

So obviously 4 edge oceans is going to amp up the aquifers a whole lot. Other than having no edge oceans you can reduce aquifers somewhat by making sure the minimum elevation is higher. You only get oceans below 100 so just setting it up to 50 makes the oceans a lot less prevalent.

If you up the variance for certain things you also sort of get less aquifers just because you've got smaller regions and thus more places to check.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »

You can miss otherwise good embark sites by skipping aquifers.

Or you can use pre-genned regions like I do where it's all highlands and hills with areas of swamp in between, so even if there is an aquifer the rivers cut so deeply you can dig under the aquifer.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:01:32 pm »

You can miss otherwise good embark sites by skipping aquifers.

Or you can use pre-genned regions like I do where it's all highlands and hills with areas of swamp in between, so even if there is an aquifer the rivers cut so deeply you can dig under the aquifer.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to post the param sets for some of those would you? please?

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:16:58 pm »

Having come from 40D, I find all embark sites now have more layers of stone in the embark window, Sedimentary Stone is much more common on the top layer, and Aquifers are much more common.  I just edited them out of my raws for the most part, and haven't had any problems yet.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:20 am »

I've actually noticed fewer aquifers, so I actually modded some rock layers that normally don't have aquifers to have aquifers.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:43 am »

it's all depend on your world gen params. I personally have issues looking for aquifer because I dont have any sustainable surface water.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.