Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should I practice next?  (Read 749 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should I practice next?
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »

After another miserable fort was doomed to Fun and sub-average mediocrity I decided that I needed to continue to build up basic skills by doing very specific industry forts.

I've done two farming/brewing forts.  One sucked, another turned out massively successful.  Over 5k drink, 3k plants, and 1.4k seeds before I decided to move on to the next fort.  I tried an animal husbandry menagerie fort but that didn't work out so well.  I experimented with too many other industries at once and trying to accomodate the skills of migrants.  [Also, decentralized housing, not fun].  It's still alive, just kinda sucks.

So here's my question, I'm about to start another fort.  Do I... practice another animal husbandry fort?  Practice building a dwarven terminator army with tons of traps and then opening all three caverns and maybe the carnival?  Or do I practice another obscure industry just for the heck of it?
Cage traps are my magma.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: What should I practice next?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:27 pm »

Make everything out of glass!  Don't build a thing unless it's an amorphous silicate!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:32:11 pm »

Military (equipping, training, using) would be a good thing to learn.

I pick that.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:35:04 pm »

Mechanics, if you can purge the world with purifying holy fire you can learn everything else on the same fort.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:36:19 pm »

Military (equipping, training, using) would be a good thing to learn.

I pick that.

This is a good one.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:47 pm »

Ok, military it is.

Basic questions that the wiki leaves unanswered.  How do I "force" my squads to pick up their weapons?  I had to watch as all my dwarves punched a sasquatch to death while it brutally inflicted about every concievable wound on my chief medical dwarf.  Their weapons and armor were just down the hallway.
Cage traps are my magma.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:26 pm »

Did you assign them uniforms and set them to active duty? They should pick everything up when you do that.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:32 pm »

Ok, military it is.

Basic questions that the wiki leaves unanswered.  How do I "force" my squads to pick up their weapons?  I had to watch as all my dwarves punched a sasquatch to death while it brutally inflicted about every concievable wound on my chief medical dwarf.  Their weapons and armor were just down the hallway.

Also, did you specifically equip them with the weapons you wanted them to use, or did you leave it on "preferred melee?"

I've noticed if I give them the option to choose anything other than what I want, they tend to choose something like a shoelace or a marble to run out and try to fight with and then get destroyed... rather than grabbing an axe or hammer or something useful.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 06:30:10 am »

I'll look into that.  Thank you.
Cage traps are my magma.