Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Painter Fun!  (Read 2462 times)

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Painter Fun!
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:42:01 am »

So, how many of you have messed with the world painter parameters? I've been tinkering with it this morning while I wait for .15, and boy can you make some crazy worlds.

Here is a world with a lattice work of 0 and 100 volcanism, along with 0 and 100 rainfall. Deserts right next to swamps. This could make for some crazy embarks, provided you set your max subregions to like, 11ty billion to avoid rejections.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UPDATE: Oh the poor world generator. It freaked the hell out when I decided to up the volcanos to the theoretical max of around 8100 for the world. It couldn't comprehend what was going on and died at Forming Lakes. It handled 4096 volcanos fine though. I will continue experimenting!

Here's what it looked like at 8192 volcanos and after it grinded away for 5 minutes trying to comprehend what was going on:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:53:22 am by NKDietrich »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Painter Fun!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:09:04 am »

that is... odd to be sure.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:28:58 am »

Oh christ.

I wonder what the world generator would be saying if it could talk.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:54:54 am »

can we program some chess AI with the new world gen params?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:16:24 am »

Interestingly something I did has made the world unembarkable. Not sure what it is. Any individual embark area is sane enough, but it just freezes up once I hit embark.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 05:29:56 pm »

Do you think you could make one that had some mountain regions mainly dividing the world into diagonal stripes? You'd need to open the mountains once in awhile if you wanted any civs to have contact with each other for trade but you could do stripes running the other way between them of your various lowland biomes. If you made them not one tile wide but two you'd still roughly have an interesting intersection on every tile. Well, that depends on how often the one biome bleeds into the other. I know a lone tile of mountain usually just sits within the one region tile but that as you make bigger clumps it tends to extend over into the neighbor almost all of the time (which was frustrating because I'd been trying to achieve the opposite back in 40d so I could embark on other features :/  )
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:16:45 pm »

I've been playing with the painter some more, being a little more careful about what I generate so that I can a good selection of cool sites but don't ruin the chances at other civilizations. I have a band of mountains at the top for dwarves, a band of forests below that for the elves, then I have some plains at the bottom of the map for humans. Plus there are plenty of goblins and kobolds.

In the middle of the map is where I have my craziness. Volcanic zero rainfall deserts interspersed with non-volcanic 100% rainfall forests. I get plenty of trees, lots of rivers, both low and high volcanism rock layers, all right next to each other. Elevation painting is tricky. While I've got it all flat at the moment save for the dwarven mountain range in the north, if I start putting in actual volcanos, it will go nucking futs. Generating a volcano overrides my elevation painting, so I don't get a flat volcano, I just get my flat terrain turned into a nightmare series of raging cliffs.

Not sure how to combat this yet. I think I may just have to settle for having the volcanic rock, and having to pump from a pipe or the sea.

Example World:

I may try putting the whole world at ridiculous high elevations, instead of low, and hope that the volcanos will mellow out if the rest of world is at their elevation.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:28:20 pm by NKDietrich »

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:11:07 am »

Just an update on my world painter !!SCIENCE!!

Temperature painting doesn't work, of course, despite there being a parameter for it. I believe this is a known issue, if it's considered an issue at all. And good and evil cannot be painted directly. However, by keeping the Dwarf mountains, Elf forests, and Human savannas in two large strips on the top and bottom of the map, I ensure that the subregions in the middle crazy area are all "small" while the other subregions are either medium or large. This means I can get crazy with the good or evil in my area, while leaving the rest of the map neutral for civ placement.

The kind of chessboard pattern is really nice. Using that setup you can basically get any two biomes, regardless of how wildly different they are, right next to each other.

Here's an example of an evil world, yet with every civ alive and kicking and zero rejections:

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a solution to the volcano conundrum. Volcanos basically screw everything up elevation wise. Flat volcanos seem to be a fluke and being near rivers makes them even more unlikely. Once in a while you can find one with a good plateau to embark on, but it's rare.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:27:29 am »

Sorry for posting a noob question, but what is this "World Painter" you speak of?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:35:00 am by OmnipotentGrue »

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:44 am »

Sorry for posting a noob question, but what is this "World Painter" you speak of?

World painter refers to setting the elevation, rainfall, drainage, volcanism and savagery for each region tile individually. Let's say I had an imaginary really-tiny-as-hell 4x4 world and I wanted to set the elevation to be land around the outside but have an ocean on the inside:

That would paint the elevation in rows and columns. Each line being a row, each number in a column.