Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bigger doors  (Read 1177 times)

darkgore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bigger doors
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:20 am »

Hi all,

I discovered this awesome game a week ago and I'm working hard to build my first fortress. I have read in wiki that door can be made three tiles wide or more with a bit of tinkering, but i can't manage to do a three tiles door. Any idea?

Thanks ^^

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger doors
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:34 am »

1. Build a standard double door.
2. Remove a segment of wall from the side of the doors.
3. Place another door in this gap.

Tada! Tripledoor. I'm not at all certain this still works (or in fact that it ever worked) but I figure it's worth a shot. If the middle door deconstructs when you mine away the adjacent wall, try building a (c)onstructed wall in its place, rebuilding the door, and then removing the new wall.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:53:27 am »

A door needs to be placed adjacent to a wall. So, two single-tile wall placed in front of and behind the planned location of the triple doors would allow you to place all three doors. Then it's a simple matter of removing the walls.

Beware that doors don't allow wagons through (as of right now wagons are bugged and don't appear, but better safe than sorry, since Toady might bring them back soon) and also are very vulnerable in terms of defensibility. If those doors compose the front gate of your fortress, consider having additional defensive layers outside it. To the best of my knowledge, the raised drawbridge is the best when it comes to temporarily sealing off passages.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:54:22 am »

In order to build more than 2 doors in a row, you must use a constructed wall and deconstruct it after the door is built - if the door is attached to a natural wall and you mine it out, the door will deconstruct.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

darkgore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:35 am »

Works perfectly! Thanks a lot ;)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »

In order to build more than 2 doors in a row, you must use a constructed wall and deconstruct it after the door is built - if the door is attached to a natural wall and you mine it out, the door will deconstruct.
Ahha!  So THAT is what I was doing wrong :o.  It is a good day when you learn something new, thanks Quietust.  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »

A door needs to be placed adjacent to a wall. So, two single-tile wall placed in front of and behind the planned location of the triple doors would allow you to place all three doors. Then it's a simple matter of removing the walls.

Beware that doors don't allow wagons through (as of right now wagons are bugged and don't appear, but better safe than sorry, since Toady might bring them back soon) and also are very vulnerable in terms of defensibility. If those doors compose the front gate of your fortress, consider having additional defensive layers outside it. To the best of my knowledge, the raised drawbridge is the best when it comes to temporarily sealing off passages.

If wagons do return suddenly, you'll still have some warning in the time it takes you to update.  But for defense doors aren't effective since creatures can often walk through them even if they are locked, and they can be destroyed by building destroyers.  A raised drawbridge will stop anything but flying building destroyers.