Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updating Saves?  (Read 859 times)

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
Updating Saves?
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:25:50 pm »

Hey everyone,

I read here and there people talking about a save updater. I just copy/paste my regions/saves to my new version and it seems to be working fine.

Am I missing something?

Oh, someone just snatched a baby in my 3.14 fort (now 3.15)... Life is great :D

POST EDIT: I guess no need to use updater. I just have a ton of fun appear from about everywhere. Mind Flawers ambush, 3 baby snatchers.

Woa! LOL
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:35:52 pm by Vhorthex »
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating Saves?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:08:55 pm »

The updater modifies the raw files between versions - while you may be having good luck without running it, I imagine there are some huge bombs hidden in there that will fuck up your game beyond repair when you are at the pinnacle of happiness.  If I were you I'd stop, save, run the updater and then go on playing.  It isn't hard, just run "df_savegame_updater.bat" in the game's root directory, while the game isn't running.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:54:12 am »

It isn't hard, just run "df_savegame_updater.bat" in the game's root directory, while the game isn't running.

Um, yeah. I see no such file in the root directory of the folder I extracted out of a zip I downloaded from Mirror 3. Is there anywhere I can just grab the updater?

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:00:09 am »

You're right, it's not there.  How odd.

No idea, maybe the one from .14 would work?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:02:43 am by BigJake »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:59 am »

In .15?  That's pretty bad, I strongly doubt that is safe to run.  You should report that, although I'm pretty sure Toady is already trying to rush out another version anyway - would be good to make sure that doesn't happen in .16 when it's released, which I expect is pretty soon.