Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much can I manipulate stone types in the raws?  (Read 731 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
How much can I manipulate stone types in the raws?
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »

So my most ideal request is to make most stone be craftable at a craftsdwarf's shop, but make a lot of it unusable at the mason's shop / for raw constructions.  (For veins of nougat, for example.)  Seems kind of unlikely, but I might as well ask. 

Another thing I'd like is to be able to stuff kinda-sorta soil types underground--specifically, layers that do not drop stones.  It would be nice if I could distinguish between stoneless layers that don't naturally allow farms (cotton candy?) and layers that do (brown sugar?).

Can I make those soil-like layers dig faster as well?  And if I can't make soil-like stuff appear underground, could I prevent it from dropping stones by tweaking its temperature properties so that any stones boil harmlessly away as soon as they spawn?  I guess this could cause problems if traders wanted to bring that kind of stuff, but I'm not likely to request anything made of stone.

How does the game react to zero-value or, heaven forbid, negative-value materials?  Caramel is too sticky.  (It might be pretty cool when smelted though, I guess.)  It would be nice if dwarves objected to having caramel furniture, or having caramel floors or walls; a negative value seems like a good way to offend them.

Is there anything special I need to do to enable boulders of a certain type (jellybeans)?  Is it possible to have boulders of a type without that stone being present in any layers?  Can I prevent stone of a certain type in my layers from becoming boulders?

There's no way to change the names of existing soil types, is there?  Can I at least remove it from the world?  Even if I can't have granulated sugar deserts, I want to keep my marshmallow boulders from getting all sandy or clay-ey.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:38:49 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much can I manipulate stone types in the raws?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:00 am »

ok... i'll try to jump in on this one

Soils-

[INORGANIC:CLAY]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:clay][DISPLAY_COLOR:4:6:0][TILE:178]
[SOIL]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1600]

if you want it to be sugar just change the name to sugar... if that is also your sand then add a [SOIL_SAND] in there.  Soils don't have boulders.  The density controls how hard it is to mine, higher = longer.  You can delete all of the stock soil layers and make up your own (and all the rock layers etc).  I just like keeping in the stock stuff and changing the values/names since world gen runs more smoothly that way.  But watch out for giving multiple entries the same name... if a noble fixates on "sugar" material and you have 5 of them it's either guess right or get alot of beatings.  Color variations in the names would work well "white sugar"/"powdered sugar"/"brown sugar" etc.

example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Layers

[INORGANIC:SANDSTONE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:sandstone][DISPLAY_COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:'#']
[SEDIMENTARY][AQUIFER][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_SHALLOW]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12070]

There are 3 types of layer [SEDIMENTARY],[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE] and [METAMORPGIC]

I don't know how the game would react to you making an entire custom layer set of stones with only one type; i.e. all [SEDIMENTARY].  But that would make for some interesting testing.  I'd jut put all 3 tags in for all of your layer stones so that they appear everywhere.

Again,  you can make up all your own stones and not use anything stock.  Just make sure that whatever is your "flux" has the [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX] tag.  As for not leaving boulders, that should be easy too just make it a [SOIL] and leave the [IS_STONE] out.

FIddle with the density for ease of mining.

example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tip: don't make your flux stones a soil.. that would be aggravating.

For boulders of a specific type, without that stone being in a layer, I'd use gems.  If that's not what you're looking for then make it a mineral and clearly define where and how large the deposits are.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:13:00 am by kwd1968 »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:55:07 pm »

Ok, that's great!  Thank you very much!

A little clarification requested re: boulders:

I was referring to this type of boulder, the kind that you see mixed in with a topsoil layer.  What controls which stone types can show up in topsoil as boulders?  I'm used to seeing stuff like [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100] for gems or stone types, but I don't see anything that controls what boulders can live in a topsoil.  Can you force things to live in soil or sand at all?  If you can't manipulate what appears on the surface as boulders, can you still put (for example) gem clusters in sand?

Thanks!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »

Boulders occur unconditionally at the top of all soil/sand layers, and the actual material of the boulder is whatever layer stone is directly underneath it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:15:27 pm »

Boulders occur unconditionally at the top of all soil/sand layers, and the actual material of the boulder is whatever layer stone is directly underneath it.
Perfect!  Thanks.  So if you have Sand|Granite, you'll have granite boulders on your sand.  But if you have Sand|Sand|Peat|Granite, will you still have granite boulders?  Inquiring minds want to know...

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:55:09 am »

Actually I think those kinds of boulders only occur when a rock layer comes up out of the soil.  I've only ever seen them on rock. not on dirt (at least I think).  You can smoothe them just like with any rock floor tho and poof all gone.