Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of mods and generating worlds.  (Read 842 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of mods and generating worlds.
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

I'm pretty curious, what sort of modifications require you to generate a new world? I've seen plenty of ones that say ".. and generate a new world" and I've seen some people say "You don't need to generate a new world if all you do is..."

So, what can I change without having to make a new world? What changes will affect a game in progress?

I mean, I suspect I can add certain tags like [PET] and [TAME] or what not to certain creatures, but I need to generate a world if I alter their limbs and such? I'm just a bit confused as to which changes are drastic enough to require that.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of mods and generating worlds.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

tweaking any existing things in the RAWs is fine.  for example, making pikes do no damage, or making dwarves cheatingly fast.

adding new or removing existing things requires a new world. for example, adding a new kind of weapon or creature, or removing elves.

some drastic tweaks (making goblins or hippos into playable races, for instance) may require a restart as well.  certainly before such changes become fully effective.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 02:56:00 am »

Oh, I see. Thank you very much. I have one more question if anyone has a sec.

One of the possible tags you can add (Unless I read incorrectly?) designates a race as playable in fortress mode; it's possible to have forts with other races? Although I suspect it doesn't make much sense. Like elves burrowing into a mountain.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

Another change that requires a regenerated world is if you add or remove body parts from creatures that exist.  For instance, if I give dwarves an extra two arms, the internal numbering could be off -- though the most corrupting culprit is if I decide that dwarves should have only one leg and one arm instead.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

quote:
or making dwarves cheatingly fast.

dammit caught again, tho u forgot the cheatingly tough as well

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

they dont need to be cheatingly tough when groundhogs drop adamantine platemail.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 12:30:00 am »

Hmm, I just thought of something. Say I mod in a new civilization; will they show up in dwarf mode? What I mean is, when you select where to build your outpost, the little spot that lists possible contacts; "Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins" will a new civilization also be there, possibly? Even better, can I trade with them?

Heh, I never suspected DF would be so moddable.

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 06:29:00 am »

It is possible, yes.  In my current fort I have werewolf traders, for example, since my modded-in werewolf civ replaces humans in that area.

Note that certain announcements are still hard-coded, so my werewolves still show up as "human" traders, at least according to the announcement.  :)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

Hah! I hope you can edit a lot of properties of the civilization; you ought to make the Werewolves refuse to buy silver objects. =) Or specifically, silver bolts.

Awesome though! I wonder how many civilizations I can add before the game gets sort of... crowded. I imagine each civilization would in turn have less world map to own. Oh, man, that'd be awesome when the Armies are finished!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

Ive tried that before, sometimes when the world is generated it just doesnt include a certain civilization because there are only room for so many. Which civilizations are included probably comes from the map generation itself, choosing randomly from the full list.

Currently, i replaced dwarves with anthropomorphic dragons in my game, which makes for some interesting scenarios when running forts. They have a big stockpile of goods made from valuable metals thats protected by traps in my current fortress game  :p

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

with multiple civilizations it chooses 4 randomly from the list to be traded with, and they act like what they replace. eg, elephants instead of humans will be your main trade partner. dragons instead of elves will attack your dwarves if you cut too many trees.

also, if multiple chosen civs have CIV_CONTROLLABLE set, then it will randomly choose 1 of those to be the controllable civ for that map, and that world will only ever get player made forts of that race