Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Tilesets - Symbol/Legend list page?  (Read 7593 times)

ildamos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy Newb Tilesets - Symbol/Legend list page?
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:52:11 am »

Hello I just started playing DFort and while most of the pictures are self-explanatory, there are are some that are confusing. (For example, what are those crown symbols? Or those things that look like pink sideboards?) Is there any wiki page where a list is shown?

Example:

Image | Meaning
Tile A - Dwarf
Tile B - Limestone
Tile C - Miasma

This could help make the game more newbie-friendly and attract more players.

(I already googled for "mayday tileset legend", "Phoebus tileset legend", "mayday tileset list", etc but came up with results that didn't match my above needs.)

Don't get me wrong aside from its bewildering nature (which attracted me to this game in the first place), this is an excellent, awesome, born-in-Krypton, eat-your-heart-out-Sims-and-Dungeon-Keeper game! Keep it up!

EDIT: Ah. I figured it out. Pressing "K" makes you look around and identify each square.  :D

Suggestion in light of the above edit: You guys might want to direct beginners to that key so they won't be overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:28:31 am by ildamos »
Cat biscuits - long before the rise of humankind, dwarves already had their own version of Soylent Green.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Tilesets - Symbol/Legend list page?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:36:37 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately the "k" key (and all the other look/option commands: "q", r", and "t"), are probably the most important commands in the game (along with < and > to change levels). All tutorials for the game start (or should start) with mentioning these keys.

You know what I've envisioned though.... a little Cheat-sheet keybind page. I might make one one of these days.

Edit: Although its WIP:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bentgirder
Currently has a very good overview of the game basics and controls. You don't NEED to follow along with his save-game, the information he provides is always relevant.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:01:46 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

ildamos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:03:21 am »

Whoa. Lucas himself. Thanks! I'll read it when I get home (currently working).

About

a little Cheat-sheet keybind page. I might make one one of these days.

You mean show a list? That would be awesome.

If it's a keybinder exe that changes the default settings though, I wouldn't recommend it; it would make games deviate from the tutorials scattered on the Net.
Cat biscuits - long before the rise of humankind, dwarves already had their own version of Soylent Green.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:12:48 pm »

Yeah, I meant a list, maybe with key graphics, which show the important keybindings.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

ildamos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:37:55 pm »

Awesome! A wiki entry would be super too.