Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Never go to the surface.  (Read 1974 times)

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Never go to the surface.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 04:25:55 am »

*Anywhere where there is a full tile of soil underneath or is irrigated.

I didn't use the clearest language there; the trees will grow in soil if there is a full block of soil underneath it.  Irrigation is exempt from this and from what I've read increases yield as well.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 05:35:53 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:32:28 pm by Bronimin »

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:44 am »

ah thank you for the advice about makeing a tree farm, I mostly just need the wood for beds and barrols.

you dont need to use wood for barrels as I am sure you know, having wood barrels just makes them easier to carry from one place to another. Making them out of metal might be a more economic option, as there is more wood for beds.

And if you have lead barrels of food you can give it to the elves.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 06:47:23 am »

The best way to make a tree farm is either digging out an entire z-level of soil, muddying an entire z level with a river/brook, or at the least using murky pools to muddy spots here and there.

However it's just as easy to wall off the edges of the caverns so nothing can get in or out. Then you have a super tree farm basically for near-free. I'd recommend at least three military dwarves in seperate squads though to rotate a watch while building so that stuff that spawns can't kill your haulers.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 09:17:45 am »

I didn't use the clearest language there; the trees will grow in soil if there is a full block of soil underneath it.  Irrigation is exempt from this and from what I've read increases yield as well.
Not for tree farms, and not on its own either. Irrigation will allow farmers to use more fertilizer on their farm plots (my 4x10 plots can have one lot of fertilizer per season if unirrigated, or eleven if irrigated) and the fertilizer will increase crop yields. Irrigation on its own does nothing of the sort.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30:33 am »

Not for tree farms, and not on its own either. Irrigation will allow farmers to use more fertilizer on their farm plots (my 4x10 plots can have one lot of fertilizer per season if unirrigated, or eleven if irrigated) and the fertilizer will increase crop yields. Irrigation on its own does nothing of the sort.

What he is trying to say is that a tree farm in a soil layer does not need irrigation, but if you DO choose to irrigate the soil the trees and shrubbery will grow faster and will be more dense.  I have not personally done any experiments in 2010 on this, but I know for a fact that is how it worked in 40d.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »

This is on the 40d page of the wiki so I'm not certain if it's changed or not but I've no reason to assume it has.  If I'm mistaken I'd love to be corrected.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Tower-cap

Muddied soil has a denser production than dry soil.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »

I love playing "deep dwarves" like this.

I would say that you should fiddle with openness and passage density settings.  I use 80 minimum openness and 30 density fwiw.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 01:50:52 pm »

Yes, irrigation appears to increase the yield.  Also sand has a much higher yield then non-sandy soils.

And I most definitely have gotten tower caps--and cave wheat and sweet pods and such--popping up before I breached the caverns.  They do it all the time in my hallways when I'm in a sandy layer; it's a bit frustrating when one decides to mature in a doorway. :P

However, stuff from deeper cavern layers does not seem to appear until you've breached the layer.  After which it'll appear anywhere, for some reason.  So blood thorns near the surface...

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 02:14:31 pm »

Yes, irrigation appears to increase the yield.  Also sand has a much higher yield then non-sandy soils.

And I most definitely have gotten tower caps--and cave wheat and sweet pods and such--popping up before I breached the caverns.  They do it all the time in my hallways when I'm in a sandy layer; it's a bit frustrating when one decides to mature in a doorway. :P

However, stuff from deeper cavern layers does not seem to appear until you've breached the layer.  After which it'll appear anywhere, for some reason.  So blood thorns near the surface...
Cave nearby?

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:13 pm »

Nope, no cave.
Pages: 1 [2]