Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anvils for cows.  (Read 505 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Anvils for cows.
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:35:05 pm »

I was just wondering if I was alone in my playing style:
I never embark with anvils, and instead get a cow and bull. By the time I need one (smelted up some bars) I will have traded for it, outside of one instance.
I like playing with aquifers, albeit I can't always get past them but when I can it's worth it. I also try to play around rivers if I can.
If I don't embark with my bovines I instead bring an awesome archer for future training.
I force my dwarfs to create long and complex 1-2 tile wide tunnels expanding over multiple z levels and across the map for the sole pointless point of filling them up with water.
I forbid all my masterly crafted barrels, and instead store them in my entrance to be looked upon by visiting elves.
Elf totems are the most prized possessions in my fort, if I could ever get them (they're rare)
It is essential that my dining hall be made out of gold furniture and carved (or built) out of marble. Even if there isn't any marble on the map.
I always name the main miner after me, and give him the best room in the game.
I buy wood from elves, forbid it, craft it into useless crafts next time they come by my lowliest of woodcarvers, then attempt to trade it back to them.

Any other weird things people do in DF?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Anvils for cows.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:00:44 am »

I always bring a single cat, pair of wardogs, a jack and a jenny.
I always try and create a short backstory/character for each of the starting seven based on their description.  Sometimes I end up with a well balanced group, sometimes I end up with a ragged group of deserters fleeing weaponless and penniless into the wastes.
I have to build at least one spire of some kind and the summit must be of solid gold or platinum.
My temple to Armok must have a solid brass basin at the bottom.

I'm pretty neurotic, this list could be much longer...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Anvils for cows.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:35 am »

I bring 4 war dogs, no cats, get rid of items that are useless at first, like splints, and I tend to make one dwarf the pure Burocrat, good in skilles needed for Expedition Leader, Record Keeper, Broker, and Manager. I also never allow anyone to go fishing, not even migrants. I also use spare rock to build elaborate walls and ceilings for the outside of my entrance, and due to my OCD each 'section' of these walls/ceiling all have to be made of the same material, only rarely will I make an exception, and that's only if it's something with an uncommon color and I have access to something else with that color. Then I load these areas with more walls to form long thin hallways filled with traps, leaveing my Trade Depot right inside this expansive building, and chain all four wardogs right inside my gates to kill theives and baby snatchers.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu