Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery Targets  (Read 449 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archery Targets
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

Last time I checked (a few versions ago) they didn't seem to operate properly. Their failure however slipped my mind until I noticed Toady's comment on them in the change list. Anyways, the problem I had was that only one dwarf would use a firing range at a time. When I say that, I don't mean that one dwarf would stand in front of each target shooting, I mean that if I had a firing range consisting of four or five targets, all included in the same room, only one dwarf would practice at a time. I had to set them all to have their own rooms to get dwarves to use the things.

Also, bolts don't stop at them. I put a target outside, and quickly had a row of spent bolts waaaay off on the edge of the map. Could it be possible to collect and repair spent crossbow bolts?

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Targets
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

Each archery target needs a seperate room. And currently, there is no way to reclaim used bolts from targets or the ground - you can only reuse them if they get stuck in an enemy. If you do get a bolt out of an enemy, the dwarf will carry that single bolt around instead of the normal 25 (stacking doesnt work...)
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

You can exploit channels to reuse bolts, there was a thread around here somewhere.  You build a channel behind the target, and a wall behind the channel.  The bolts hit the wall and fall into the channel.  The downside is you have lots and lots of singleton bolts after a while of this.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

odd i've had marksdwarves use the targets and almost every time another dwarf automatically walks into the range and collects the used bolts.

amusingly a dwarf will do this while the marksdwarf is firing, it's a wonder there hasn't been any injuries/deaths from this

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

They're not gathering bolts, they're cleaning up broken ones. And currently accidents dont happen at archery ranges.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.