Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entrance through the Ocean  (Read 702 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entrance through the Ocean
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:52:13 pm »

I embarked next to an ocean, and I'm trying to think of how I can make a path through it.  It doesn't seem to ever freeze, and I don't have access to magma right now, though in theory I could pump it up to the surface and fill an area with it.

Just so you guys know, I'm thinking I would try to do it from the top, but I can get under it.  Also, the floor is mostly sandstone and red sand.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance through the Ocean
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »

I have no idea if this will actually work; I have 0 experience with ocean so I'm not certain how they behave.  But maybe you could build a caisson above where you want the entrance.  Drop that in, pump out the water.  Not sure how you could get rid of the caisson.  Maybe channeling below it and caving it in? 

It would be a massive project.  I'm temped to gen up a beach embark and try it...

edit:  Nevermind, I'd never dropped a constructed wall before.  Now I know they deconstruct on impact.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:11:44 pm by BigJake »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:07:51 pm »

I would think it would be a massive project to try it without magma.  If I had to, instead of pumping the water back into the ocean, I would pump it up a z level or two then build a tube that would direct it to an underground drainage source.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:42 pm »

Alright, I thought there might be a simple solution.  I guess I'll need to plan on a more permanent base on land to build it.

Also, I think I broke the ocean.  Just to see what would happen, I connected the ocean to a river that didn't have any flow because it ended in my embark site (what was weird is it didn't actually flow out into the ocean, but I guess that explains why it didn't have flow).  That didn't cause it to have flow, so I figured draining it into the aquifer would work too.  It worked, but now the entire ocean is flowing into the aquifer.  I'm scared.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »

Alright, I thought there might be a simple solution.  I guess I'll need to plan on a more permanent base on land to build it.

Also, I think I broke the ocean.  Just to see what would happen, I connected the ocean to a river that didn't have any flow because it ended in my embark site (what was weird is it didn't actually flow out into the ocean, but I guess that explains why it didn't have flow).  That didn't cause it to have flow, so I figured draining it into the aquifer would work too.  It worked, but now the entire ocean is flowing into the aquifer.  I'm scared.
I'm guessing you made some sort of plug to seal it once the ocean's drained?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

Aquifers eat up water, as well as spew it out endlessly. Relatively little worries about an aquiflood, but then again, this is dwarf fortress.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

The Walrus trapping thread from 40d days beckons...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 04:41:51 pm »

Ah this one hmm?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45269.msg883603#msg883603

Linked just cause it's a good read.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »

I will point out that oceans kill FPS, I decided never to embark by one of them again. So I wouldn't know. Magma is good for water related things, such as this, and getting through aquifers. I would tunnel down to it before even thinking of doing something like this.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:34:02 pm »

I will point out that oceans kill FPS, I decided never to embark by one of them again. So I wouldn't know. Magma is good for water related things, such as this, and getting through aquifers. I would tunnel down to it before even thinking of doing something like this.

Yeah, I was sort of wondering if there was a way to do it with a basic fort, rather than having to start up an iron industry for the screw pumps.  We'll see how it goes.