Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body Temperature  (Read 500 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Body Temperature
« on: September 29, 2010, 01:46:47 am »

I don't want creatures to have a fixed temp, exactly, but I'd like them to be warmer than their surroundings if they are warm-blooded. I have many reasons, but the biggest one is that I'd like to have metal arrows that burst into flames when they embed, but aren't volatile at (underground) room temperature. Oddly, the easiest (only?) way to do this seems to be editing every warm blooded creature.

Then I thought: Perhaps I could just make the actual  blood material warm? (and make a coldblood material?) So. Yeah. How does one go about editing the possibly hardcoded materials like blood?

hehe. "don't bleed on the ammo stockpiles"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Body Temperature
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:58:24 am »

There should be a file containing the information on blood in the raw somewhere, because it's a moddable semi-liquid.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:04 am »

I tried messing with it and found it was really hard to tell if I had actually affected anything. Hence the asking for advice rather than trial and error.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 03:24:39 am »

Try using the arena to test changes.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:08 am »

Try using the arena to test changes.

good call, thanks. I've never used the arena, but this is a good project to figure it out.
[/quote]