Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Bone Block Mod, at last!  (Read 1788 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
A Bone Block Mod, at last!
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:49:12 pm »

I have seen a few topics around of people asking for advice for how to produce one of these, but never saw any results. Having had a great laugh at making buildings out of meat with Intelligent Shade of Blue's cuisine mod, I wanted some bone blocks to add to the depravity hilarity.

So after doing some science and wrong raw folder editing, I present you all with the utterly simple yet funtional Bone Block Mod!

Code: (The reaction) [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_BONEBLOCK]
    [NAME:make bone blocks]
    [BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_B]
    [REAGENT:bones:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bones:NONE]
    [SKILL:BONECARVE]
Code: (The entity tag) [Select]
    [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BONEBLOCK]
Spoiler: And, The result (click to show/hide)

To use, copy paste the top one into reaction_other.txt (below the first 2 lines) and paste the second one in entity_default.txt (somewhere below [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN])

Its a bit weird right now, as it cant recognise bodypart items as stacked now; it just turns any stack of bones as 1 whether its a 192 FB bones or 1 kitten bone. It also uses the tanners shop as the craftshop wont let me add custom reactions. I suppose you could change that to the kitchen or smelter, but a custom workshop would make most sense.

I think I could solve the stack problem by giving bones a butchery item type like meat has, and adding a workshop is trivial.
Making the blocks usable for other stuff like *goblin bone throne* so far failed (sad face...) the masons shop doesnt seem recognise organic stuff as stone.
Skull blocks didnt work out either, it seems any 'totemable' bodypart is a no-go for other reactions. I might circumvent this by making totems the reagent.
Something to clean up unbutcherable goblin skeletons would be nice too I suppose.

So once finished it could be a lot more complicated and... workaroundy? Hence I felt like throwing it out here in its basic and functional form first. Comment are of course most welcome!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: A Bone Block Mod, at last!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »

This has so been done before.

For the workshop, we of Battlefailed used the kiln. And we made it possible to use skulls.

Still, nice to see something this macabre be so acceptable and easy. Just remember to edit the dwarf civ's ethics to allow them to butcher sentients. Goblin bone tower.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:00:19 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:05:39 pm »

Hey cool! Been having trouble convincing anyone to play dwarf fortress, roads built from the bones of your enemys may be that extra bit of juicyness they need to give DF a try.

Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:35:35 am »

I don't suppose anyone's figured out a one-step way to get them to be coins? (as opposed to making a "bone metal" intermediate)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]