Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping Marksdwarves ammo'd up  (Read 728 times)

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping Marksdwarves ammo'd up
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »

This seems to be a persistent problem for me, between archery practice and my hunters it seems i never have bolts when my boys need to actually fight. What production levels do most people use to keep their marksdwarves enough ammo to actually fight?
I've tried restricting material types for actual combat and practice, but that seems very hit and miss.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Marksdwarves ammo'd up
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:24:41 pm »

Yeah, restricting types seems broken. Sometimes it works, for me.

What I've been doing is cranking out bone and wood bolts, setting a separate stockpile for metal ones, installing a door and locking it up.

If I'm expecting trouble, I unlock it and dedicate my best workers to a shop, turn every other job off, and set to repeat.

My other trick is to build the archery range, put a wall  two or three squares behind the targets, and channel down a level between the targets and wall. Remove the up ramps and install an access staircase to the side. The bolts end up hitting the wall, and aren't destroyed because they fall a Z-level. Then just send Urist McStormtrooper down every now and then to reclaim the bolts he can't hit anything with anyway.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:40 pm »

if restricting doesnt work, turn off bolt type usage completely until you need it.
As for picking up used bolt, i find it save time to have less troops and assign the extras as wooden ammo suppliers instead.
You might also want to consider reducing the amount of assigned bolts to each squad as they'd be surely stocked from top to bottom instead of balancing out. As each quiver can hold only 25 bolts and each squad can have 250 ppl; 250 + couple extra are enough.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »

Yeah, restricting types seems broken. Sometimes it works, for me.

What I've been doing is cranking out bone and wood bolts, setting a separate stockpile for metal ones, installing a door and locking it up.

If I'm expecting trouble, I unlock it and dedicate my best workers to a shop, turn every other job off, and set to repeat.

My other trick is to build the archery range, put a wall  two or three squares behind the targets, and channel down a level between the targets and wall. Remove the up ramps and install an access staircase to the side. The bolts end up hitting the wall, and aren't destroyed because they fall a Z-level. Then just send Urist McStormtrooper down every now and then to reclaim the bolts he can't hit anything with anyway.

when I tried it seemed to me that bolts hitting the target got consumed. also, you need a valid walkable path from the shooter to the target (for the room to work) so at least one tile will keep 'consuming' bolts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:40:35 pm »

I make shittons of wooden and bone bolts, have my marksdwarves train until they're legendary and I'm out of ammo, then I permanently switch to metal and tell them to stop training forever. Live-fire only from that point on.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:44:42 pm »

I make shittons of wooden and bone bolts, have my marksdwarves train until they're legendary and I'm out of ammo, then I permanently switch to metal and tell them to stop training forever. Live-fire only from that point on.

Wouldn't they get rusty between sieges?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:03:05 pm »

Cage traps, execution chamber.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 02:10:21 pm »

Cage traps, execution chamber.

Agreed.  Put your dwarves in a fortification pillbox and have them snipe at the gobbos.  Way more exp that way.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.