Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utils : Set dwarfs work preferences  (Read 1652 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utils : Set dwarfs work preferences
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

Hello,

Here is a short application I wrote to manage a bit more easilly the dwarfs preferences (which work they should do or not).

You can set new profiles, update them, exchange them (you have defined a number of "hauler" now, you want them to become "farmer")...

Not very tested yet, but it might prove usefull (and could give an idea to toady, what he could do with profile management    ;) )
http://www.flap.fr/grenier/LabourDF_V02.zip

[ March 27, 2007: Message edited by: flap ]

[ March 29, 2007: Message edited by: flap ]

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Utils : Set dwarfs work preferences
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:00 am »

Oups, I worked on v0_22_123_23a. The lateste version of the game is v0.23.130.23a, so it would not work.

I'll update it tonight..

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 07:00:00 am »

I've updated the link to the latest DF version. It should work now.

Of course, feed back would be really appreciated !

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

I'm waiting for the new version before I start playing, but I tried this out just to see how it was.

I LOVE IT! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Now, instead of having to set each farmer to Farming(Fields)-only after winter, I can do it with just a few keystrokes. Great work! This will help a great deal for rotating jobs en mass, especially seasonal ones like farming.

I've had some trouble with occasional crashes, but nothing major. I hope you release this for the next version, too.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

Haha nice, memory editting hacks for DF with included source code =)  Much applause for you, sir.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:11:00 am »

Aaah , some feedback ! cool.

Okay, you had some crash. Do you remember at which occasion ?

And axus, yep a nice little bit of editing. Basically most of my programming experience since last 5 years is related to that sort of things. And for some other programm I've really done some crazy stuff (not well, not that usefull...)

So now I play safer and simplier. And usually try to focus on tiny usefull stuff.

And yeah, don't worry I'll update that. And apparently there are ate least 4 poeple arounf here who understand well enough what is in my programm, and would be able to update it, in case I disappear in a terrible death !

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

Actually, for a while, I was having constant crash problems. Every time I'd try to update work profiles, labourdf.exe would crash. I think it had something to do with over-writing job preferences, because once I deleted all profiles, then added them again each time instead of over-writing them, the crashes stopped.

I'm not really that sure though. Now I can over-write profiles and there doesn't seem to be any problem. But it was definitely crashing every time I pressed 'u' before, and it wouldn't even update the profile unless I deleted it and re-added it.

It might be something else, or it could have been my computer. I also might have kept the same profiles between different fortresses, which could have caused a problem.

Also, here's a feature that would be nice, if you're planning on adding any more: being able to set multiple profiles for the same profession name. That way, you can rotate them with the click of a button. If you can do that, it might also be possible to auto-rotate between profiles at intermittent times, which would be really useful.

[ April 10, 2007: Message edited by: Mud ]

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 05:15:00 am »

I have added a link to this wiki page : http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Utils

Mud, for your question, it is possible to exchange profiles between two profession names (all miners to all growers for exemple). So maybe you should create growers_winter, and growers_summer, and switch between them at the season change... that should do the trick ?

I will investigate that bug. I think that I didn't include some checks.

Tharg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

This is a great app.  I love being able to switch all my farmers to gatherers, then to haulers, then back to farmers with a few key presses.  I have had it crash (your app, not dwarf fortress) a few times, but I'm afraid I haven't noted a consistent cause, mainly because I'm too busy just starting it up again and enjoying the game to take too much heed of it.

[ May 09, 2007: Message edited by: Tharg ]

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

Yeah this is really good, it does the job even if it crashes 50% of the time when I update the profiles.

flap3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Thank you for your comments !

I am sorry, I couldn't reply earlier... I have some log in problems lately.
Yep, it crashes sometime. I suspect that I know why : when I wrote it my understanding of data structure was not that good, and since then plenty of other hacker have been working on it. I suspect that now there is enough material to solve my problem.

However, I might wait for next DF release before updating the application. (So that will be end of June ?)