Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: USB cables...  (Read 974 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
USB cables...
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:57:34 pm »

Anyone know if/where you can get usb cable without end plugs pre-attached?

I'm looking to cable a printer in one room to a home-server in another room, running the cable through the wall, but the hole isn't big enough to fit the USB-B connector through.

I'll be doing something similar with an ethernet cable, and i know you can get cable and end connectors separately and manually attach them... but i've never heard of the same thing w/ usb...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: USB cables...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen USB cables and connectors sold separately for consumer use. Even if you can find that it's probably not trivial to wire them together. Even with ethernet cables you'll need a special tool.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 03:49:51 pm »

If you're confident about wiring it yourself, just snip the end off and run it through.  I've done it before, and if you solder the connections and use some electrical tape it's pretty secure.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

this is actually a bad idea considering usb cables aren't powered enough for long distances, how far is your printer?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:29:06 pm »

usb can hold or carry a lot of power. I've seen a usb coffee mug hot plate before to keep your coffee warm.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »

Might you use a ethernet enabled printer?  Or try making the hole in the wall bigger.  Maybe try networking the printer over wi-fi?  If all else fails, you can buy a cheap USB cable, snip off the ends, splice it onto a longer Cat6 cable and use that as a USB cable.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.