Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins drown despite availability of a ramp to get out  (Read 770 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins drown despite availability of a ramp to get out
« on: June 25, 2008, 05:19:13 pm »

I've modded my game so that goblins are made out of random metals. This means that when I drop goblins into magma, sometimes they melt to death, and sometimes they drown. The thing is, the magmaproof ones should be able to get out just fine. Here's my setup:
Code: [Select]
Top view:
..#######     #: wall     .: ground
..=====..     =: bridge (over magma)
..v====..     v: down ramp (under bridge)
..=====..
..#######

Side view:
__v====__     _: floor     v^: down/up ramp
##^~~~~##     #: wall     ~: magma     =: bridge
#########
In other words, I have a retracting bridge over a pit that is full of magma. At one end of the pit is an up-ramp that should provide egress from the pit when the bridge is retracted. However, I've dropped steel goblins right next to the ramp and they've just sat there, drowning to death.

Incidentally, there's a display bug with bridges over ramps - the down ramp displays all the time, "through" the bridge.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins drown despite availability of a ramp to get out
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:00:30 pm »

One problem, could they swim? If they've no ability to swim they'll just sit there. Like Magma Men. Forever. Or at least in the goblins case until they drown.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins drown despite availability of a ramp to get out
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:02:04 am »

Mm. Fair point. Though (most of) the goblins should be able to walk on magma anyway. Stone is dense! ¬.¬
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels