Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help a brotha out!  (Read 921 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help a brotha out!
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

Hey guys. while pouring some water into the magma sea i got a trillion messages about cavern collapseing...
im sure this is a weak question but.. is there anyway to turn off the game pausing every cavern collapseing announcement? i tryed looking in the ints and dident see anything..
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help a brotha out!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:44:22 pm »

Hey guys. while pouring some water into the magma sea i got a trillion messages about cavern collapseing...
im sure this is a weak question but.. is there anyway to turn off the game pausing every cavern collapseing announcement? i tryed looking in the ints and dident see anything..
I don't know about turning it off, but the best way to avoid it in the future is to start dumping water next to where the magma sea meets solid rock. If you pour water into the middle of the magma sea, you will create a ton of obsidian pillars with no support that will immediately collapse, which can be dangerous too since it splashes magma all over the place. If you start pouring right at the edge of the magma, you should be fine. It gradually creates an obsidian floor for the water to run on, with maybe just a few cave-ins.

Edit: Oh, another thing that's good to know, at the very bottom of the magma sea, where there is nothing but semi-molten rock under it, that last layer of magma can't be turned into obsidian. It only creates smoke and the magma refills.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:46:51 pm by Vaftrudner »

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:45:34 pm »

A lovely! thanks.. i guess i got a buncha space key mashing till the water stops tho heh..
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:53:17 pm »

Go to announcements.txt in your data/init folder, and change
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
to
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]
to stop collapse messages.  Just don't forget to change it back when you're done.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:55:39 pm »

Ah, thanks mate!