Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refuse management  (Read 2601 times)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refuse management
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:58:18 am »

So, it happened to me that my refuse pile is full. I tried designating some of the items on it for dumping, but y dwarves didn't seem to be willing to do it. My question: if I turn "collect refuse from outside" on, will they dump my items from my refuse pile?

Now that I have serious lack of hauling workforce due to recent unfortunate events (a FB with poisonous gas just sucks, 2 of them sucks even more), so I simply can't afford to just move everything one by one from my refuse pile and my butcher's shop, which seems to be seriously cluttered. I was thinking of a more efficient way of handling refuse. First I thought about atom smashing, but since I can't build a bridge on a stockpile, it doesn't really solve my problem. So, I decided to move my refuse pile to a pit that I can occasionally fill with magma in order to get rid of unwanted refuse. By moving, I mean caving it in, because that way all refuse will be moved to place by a simple pull of a lever.

The problem with above approach is that it will destroy everything, including useful things like bones. I guess sorting out different kind of refuse is only possible by manual labour, so whatever. I decided that in the future, I will make different stockpiles for useful and useless parts. I have some questions on it.
1. What does "item types" mean in the refuse stockpile settings? Is there any case when items like food or furniture is moved to a refuse pile?
2. Is there any way to differentiate between different body parts in refuse pile settings? For example, I want to put hair and cartilage to the pile in the pit, and bones, skulls etc. to another one close to my craftdwarf's shop.
3. In order not to generate miasma, does a tile have to be outside, or is "light above ground" enough?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse management
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:29:04 am »

I usually gather refuse outside, with 2 types of refuse pile. 1 for the junk, with the setting Body Parts forbidden, and 1 for the useful stuff, with only that setting permitted. I end up with the good pile having some junk, like hair, cartilage, some useless severed limbs, etc. that I manually dump, but the rest is quite satisfying.

I just now tried the "Dwarves dump other" refuse order, and it is far from satisfying. My junk pile gets (mostly) emptied in the dump (hurray!), but my shells end up dumped too, while stuff like "nervous tissue" is still to be dumped manually.

And "light above ground" is enough to prevent miasma.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Refuse management
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:16 am »

So, it happened to me that my refuse pile is full. I tried designating some of the items on it for dumping, but y dwarves didn't seem to be willing to do it. My question: if I turn "collect refuse from outside" on, will they dump my items from my refuse pile?

Now that I have serious lack of hauling workforce due to recent unfortunate events (a FB with poisonous gas just sucks, 2 of them sucks even more), so I simply can't afford to just move everything one by one from my refuse pile and my butcher's shop, which seems to be seriously cluttered. I was thinking of a more efficient way of handling refuse. First I thought about atom smashing, but since I can't build a bridge on a stockpile, it doesn't really solve my problem. So, I decided to move my refuse pile to a pit that I can occasionally fill with magma in order to get rid of unwanted refuse. By moving, I mean caving it in, because that way all refuse will be moved to place by a simple pull of a lever.

The problem with above approach is that it will destroy everything, including useful things like bones. I guess sorting out different kind of refuse is only possible by manual labour, so whatever. I decided that in the future, I will make different stockpiles for useful and useless parts. I have some questions on it.
1. What does "item types" mean in the refuse stockpile settings? Is there any case when items like food or furniture is moved to a refuse pile?
2. Is there any way to differentiate between different body parts in refuse pile settings? For example, I want to put hair and cartilage to the pile in the pit, and bones, skulls etc. to another one close to my craftdwarf's shop.
3. In order not to generate miasma, does a tile have to be outside, or is "light above ground" enough?

#1: I know that completely 100% worn out clothing goes to the refuse pile, but i haven't seen anything crazy like furniture. Also rotten food goes to refuse unless you have Dwarves dump other.

The other two were answered, so i'll take on this:
Quote from: Marthnn

I usually gather refuse outside, with 2 types of refuse pile. 1 for the junk, with the setting Body Parts forbidden, and 1 for the useful stuff, with only that setting permitted. I end up with the good pile having some junk, like hair, cartilage, some useless severed limbs, etc. that I manually dump, but the rest is quite satisfying.

I just now tried the "Dwarves dump other" refuse order, and it is far from satisfying. My junk pile gets (mostly) emptied in the dump (hurray!), but my shells end up dumped too, while stuff like "nervous tissue" is still to be dumped manually.

And "light above ground" is enough to prevent miasma.

SHells have their own specific save/dump option, if your shells get dumped then you accidentally switched it.

Nervous Tissue, hair, hooves, horns, ivory, etc. are all under "Dwarves save/dump corpses" it's pretty annoying that you have to either dump that stuff or save corpses to be butchered, and you can't specify to dump unbutcherable corpses, but we are playing an alpha here.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]