Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furnace operator won't make charcoal and other problems  (Read 8041 times)

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Furnace operator won't make charcoal and other problems
« on: September 25, 2010, 02:35:53 pm »

So yeah... my main problem would be that my damn furnace operator won't make charcoal. I need weapons, all the weapons I have are a copper battle axe, an artifact mule bone mace and a few wooden crossbows. And, of course, picks, although I'm not sure how useful they are when they are being used as weapons. My other big problem is that I don't have a mechanic and I need traps, as well.
So, my questions are:
1. How to get my furnace operator to make charcoal?
2. If I set a completely unskilled dwarf to do a mechanic's job, is there a chance that the mechanisms won't work at all, or even worse, backfire?
3. What if the amount of trees I cut down will exceed the amount of trees the elves are letting me cut down? Will they really launch a full-scale siege?
4. Lately, I have been getting the message: "XY cancels drink: Water source contaminated". This isn't too much of an annoyance, because the dwarves can just drink from another pond, but it still worries me somewhat. Can goblins be causing this? They suddenly appeared on my civilizations screen and some dwarves have complained of uneasy sleep, because of strange noises.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:46:10 pm by Nas92 »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Furnace operator won't make charcoal and other problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:07:27 pm »

Charcoal is made at a wood furnace by a wood burner. Completely separate to a furnace operator's work.

No, mechanisms never backfire. The only issue is that they'll be less accurate in weapon traps but that's all.

It's actually hard to piss off the elves enough that they'll siege you. Like, several years of transgressions.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:13:56 pm »

1: Build a woodburning workshop and make charcoal from logs. You can also find seams of bituminous coal underground, but you may not have any at your site. Note this requires the wood burning abor enabled, not furnace operating.

Or you could just dig down to the magma and set up some magma forges, bypassing the need for fuel entirely.

2: As I understand it, no-quality mechanisms sometimes malfunction, but I don't believe it's possible for them to backfire.

3: Elves generally don't seige, but they'll send raiding parties (which you won't be able to see until a dwarf bumps into one.)

4: Goblins don't deliberately contaminate water sources- goblin seiges, at the moment, just consist of them charging in and attacking whatever they see, until a couple of them die, then they turn around and start running away. There's no cloak-and-dagger style stuff implemented yet. The contamination is probably blood (I'm not sure if there even are any other contaminants in the game at the moment.)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »

3. Press (c) to view your civ list, select the Elven civilization, and press Tab a few times until it lists your tree-cutting quota - the first number is how many more trees you can cut down, and the second number is the total permitted for that year. If you're playing 0.31.13 or 0.31.14, then there are no quotas because elven diplomats do not exist at all in 0.31 (the only reason they showed up thru 0.31.12 was due to a bug that caused all caravans to trigger the Dwarven liaison code which, for Humans and Elves, happened to act like an appropriate Diplomat).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.