Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food stockpiles and barrels.  (Read 762 times)

Punished

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food stockpiles and barrels.
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:13:27 pm »

So I've finally built a fortress and stuck with it, I think I'm finally getting a real understanding of how most things work in this amazing game, however I've come upon one "roadblock" of sorts within this first fort.

I have enough food, stockpile space, and empty barrels, but my dwarfs are not taking a new barrel over to the food stockpile when barrel space runs out, and are instead just dropping the food in the stockpile, allowing it to rot.

How do I fix this?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Food stockpiles and barrels.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »

Silly question, but do you have any 'reserved' barrels?  (changed in stockpile settings, and will withhold barrels from storage to be used for booze etc)  If you don't have more barrels than the reserved value, that could happen.

Alternately:  Not enough haulers.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:01 pm »

iirc, food on food stockpiles never rust...
only thing barrels do is make it easier by giving you more things per square
I know cause I'm pretty sure some of my prepared meals are PRETTY old (15 year fortress, about 10000 food stockpiled :P)
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Punished

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:45:35 pm »

Yeah no reserved barrels over here, and in the time since I started this thread they've started putting the food in the barrels (for the most part) but they're leaving the barrels in the furniture stockpile.

I guess time will fix this, or not. I guess its not too big of a problem since my furniture pile isn't *that* far away..