Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get clearer fonts?  (Read 1160 times)

katz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How can I get clearer fonts?
« on: September 25, 2010, 06:41:09 am »

Hi, I am new to the forums, so not entirely sure I post in the ideal section, so sorry about that.

I've started playing DF about half a year now, at first I couldn't even get the game work in fullscreen, so I switched to a graphic addon (Mayday's). My favorite thing about this addon was not particulary the graphics, but the well readable fonts, however I hate waiting for the releases so I'd rather switch back to no-graphics DF.

My native resolution: 1280x800
The first thing I tried in the init.txt, is actually trying to get a center positioned fullscreen. Sadly, I can't make this happen without turning [GRAPHICS:YES], every other ways I tried the game were only in the top-left corner of the screen.

So the first way I could achieve a working fullscreen is this:
[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Unfortunately the fonts this way look eye-hurting, so I tried to load some other files:

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_800x600.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Well, if I tried to load here any other then curses_square_16x16 (png/bmp) I jump back to the first problem, the game wont fit in the center of the fullscreen.

So my questions are: those who play without graphical tilesets, what settings do you use? Is it possible to mod the resolution of the fonts by simply changing theese image sources? If so, isn't there any modifications that simply tries to solve this?

Thanks,
katz

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get clearer fonts?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:29:36 am »

If you haven't already tried it (assuming you are using 0.31.13 or later), set TRUETYPE to TRUE in init.txt. Make sure you read the notes about it too. My only complaint about it is that it is a little small on my resolution (1680x1050), which shouldn't be (as much as) a problem for you, with your smaller resolution.

Graphics wise, I leave everything as the default and maximise the program whenever I play it. Makes it fit neatly to my screen too.

katz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:04:11 am »

Thanks that was a good advice, however the fonts are pretty small for me as well.
Maybe if they were bold or something.

Back to modding, is 16x16 is the largest 'sprite' picture the game can use?

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:11:25 am »

No, but 16x16 is the widest tileset you can use. The game requires at least 80 horizontal tiles, and 80x16=1280.

katz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:03:46 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll try to paste the Mayday fonts and replace them in the curses_square_16x16 picture, so I can have no graphics with clearer fonts + no need to wait for mayday updates.

Or simply I'll wait for the updates :P

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »

You can get many tilesets from the wiki. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository
I like Bisasam 16x16

The file goes in data/art
Then change the font line in init.txt to use the tileset you want.

* The game will automagicly figure out the correct settings for fullscreenx/y if they are set to 0.
* If you don't want to use graphics turn them off by settings graphics=off and use the font/fullfont lines. They should be just above the graphics section.
* The menu doesn't start centred once in fortress mode everything works.

katz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:09:52 pm »

Thanks, that was really helpful.
Lots of nice fonts there.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:20:33 pm »

For what it's worth, Tyrving's 16x16 tileset is pretty much the same thing as the default 16x16 curses tileset in stylistic terms, but actually looks good.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==